Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Beet,Carrot Oat Tikki Burger

The exams for children have just got over and as usual they want their share of fast food.My neice wanted to call her friends for lunch and the demand was Mcdonalds Burger.I convinced her that her friends would like my homemade ones and she agreed.The recipe of the tikki that I followed was from Cooking & More, jan-feb 2011 issue,by Tarla Dalal.I made some changes in the recipe,like I added ½ grated beet root and some finely chopped mint.I changed the proportions of potato and carrot too.And yet another change…I mixed the oats in the mixture instead of rolling the tikkis in it.



And now the recipe for tikki……

½ cup………. cooking oats
1 small ……..carrot (grated)
½ …………..beetroot(grated)
½ cup………cottage cheese(grated)
2cups……….boiled mashed potatoes
Green chillies
Coriander
Mint leaves
½ tsp…………garam masala
½ tsp…………lemon juice
Salt to taste.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
 Roll out into 2’’flat round tikkis.
Shallow fry,till crisp on both sides.


Salad
1cup…………finely chopped cabbage
½ cup………..finely chopped onion
½ cup………. finely chopped toatoes(remove the pulp)
1cup …………mayonnaise
½ tsp…………oregano
½ tsp…………chilly flakes
4tsp…………..ketchup
2tsp………….chilly sauce
Salt to taste
Mix everything in a bowl.

Other ingredients….
Burger buns
Butter
Cheese slices…or a variety of grated cheese

Assembling……
Cut the burger buns into half.
Apply butter.
Spread salad lavishly.
Place the tikki.
Place a cheese slice.
Cover with the top.
Wrap them in a cling film.
Warm for  20 sec in a microwave before serving. 



 The most interesting thing about these burgers was that children really liked them and their first remark was..oh…McDonalds!!...after they ate a bit they were curious to know which particular one it was….’homemade maccy”……and I smiledJ

Here is a picture that I captured.....








Pin It

9 comments:

  1. Homemade is always good and taste better anytime. Glad your niece and her friends enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  2. flavourful healthy and delicious and bonus kids like it :)
    thank you for linking and sending the picture
    http://torviewtoronto.blogspot.com/2011/04/food-palette-series-pink.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Healthy, tasty and colorful tikkis... always a better choice than fast food joints... loving it anytime...

    http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com
    Breakfast Club - Pancakes

    ReplyDelete
  4. burger are my fav.love ur tikkiss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Burger looks wonderful,healthy and simply delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so much healthier than the ones made by You know who!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious burger and I can see how much the kids enjoyed them from their broad smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a delicious burger. I have picky eaters at home and I will try this out on them! Love the creamy salad that goes in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was in my bookmarks for a long time and I LOVED these. I made the buns too from scratch and it was a real satisfying meal! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete