Friday, July 15, 2011

Punjabi Mango Pickle

 I am very fond of pickles,but normally I make water based pickles ,which last for a week. I have some wonderful friends who are very good with the other pickles,so normally I get my stock from them..The ICC .....yes..The Indian Cooking Challenge announced a Punjabi pickle this time…a pickle which had oil and the recipe is the  brain child of  Simran of Bombay Foodie.
Since the season for raw mango was at its end I picked up the mangoes as soon as the event was announced.My experienced friends told me to buy the desi variety which is sour.they also told me to carry a bottle of water and a napkin to wipe these mangoes.Well This was my first time to buy mangoes for a pickle.I reached the market..and when I saw the different varieties of mangoes ..was a little confused…I asked for the desi ones,checked if they were not over  ripe..and asked the guy to cut them for me..after washing with the water I had carried..and ofcourse wiping them too.
I came home and sundried them for about 4hours.I did not have any ceramic jar..so just used a regular glass jar….washed and sundried it too.
The next step was to weigh all the spices…..and then of course it was a simple procedure.But I must tell you the interesting part of this.after measuring all my spices I mixed them and suddenly realized that something was wrong with kalonji!!...I wore my glasses..but ..for sure this looked something else......I soaked it in water and..ah..this is sabza..!!thankfully I had not added the mango!I sieved the spices..it was easy to get turmeric and salt..then I used the bigger sieve and all the sabza was out!!..I finished adding the rest of the ingredients except kalonji..which I added the next day.



Here goes the recipe……
½ kg............ mangoes
100ml.......... musturd oil
70gms........ salt
10gms.........methi seeds
10gms........ saunf
5gms ..........kalonji
10gms........ turmeric pwd
5gms.......... peppercorns
½ tsp ..........sugar
6-8 ...............whole red chillies

How to go about…..
Wash ,wipe and cut the raw mangoes.
Sun dry them for 4 hours.sun dry a ceramic or glass jar.
Measure all spices.
Mix them with the mango pieces adding oil.
(no metal or plastic to be used)
Place in sun for the day…infact I placed it off and on for a few days.
Cover the mangoes with more oil.
Shake the jar regularly.
Gets ready in 15-20 days.

The result….
Well I was quite happy with the pickle..but since we eat less salt…I felt I could have reduced it by minimum 15 gms..also since I like more masala in the pickle ..may be I could have doubled the quantity of methi,.saunf and kalonji.I added whole red chillies ,not disturbing the color,yet making it a little spicy. 

Serve this lovely mango pickle with mathis or puris..or immerse a spoon of this pickle oil and masala into your daals...you will simply love it.
Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Pickle looks yumm.. Good job fixing the mistake, made me smile thinking of what we go through to make a dish.. Nice presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..that's such a unique flavour Vaishali..Loved the challenge !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see that you've added red chillis. That must have also soaked in the flavours and oil during the curing process and must be tasting equally great, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have used red chillies....I used fresh green chillies. I think red chillies are a better option to spice up the oil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks really nice :-)Great pickle. I like ur blog :-)

    ReplyDelete