Thursday, August 25, 2011

Nargisi Kofta


BM # 8   Day 3


Among the Nawabi cuisines ,the main course was ruled by the  kofta currys and kormas.

The cuisine was dominated by non-vegetarian dishes, but of course the vegetarian section has some special dishes too.Some of them are adapted,while some are original.

Today I have picked up a Mughlai dish..Nargisi Kofta.The original dish was with a boiled egg,encased in keema and fried to a kofta. This dish has memories of my first cooking class when I was barely 16.Infact this was the first dish taught and to tell you the truth I was absolutely fascinated.The idea of tranforming it into a vegetarian with a mocked egg still leaves a smile on my face.

Coming to Nargisi Koftas........
koftas
200gms............. grated paneer
5 boiled............. potatoes
3slices............... bread
A few strand .....saffron
Little yellow food color/turmeric pwd
Garam masala
Broken pieces of cashewnuts and some raisins.
Salt to taste


Grate paneer,rub well with hands giving it a smooth texture.
Add salt.
In ¼ portion add saffron and some turmeric pwd.
Mash potatoes.
Add salt garam masala and bread crumbs
To make fresh bread crumbs just put slices of bread in mixie n blend for a few secs.
Mix everything.
Heat oil  for deep frying.
Test check the potato mix .
If it does’nt break you could proceed to make the koftas.
If it breaks add some more crumbs.

Assembling the kofta........
Take a ball of yellow paneer.
Flatten it.
Place some cashewnuts n raisins.
Make a ball.make rest of the balls.
Wash your hands.
Now make a ball from the white salted paneer.
Encase the yellow ball in this.repeat for rest of the paneer,making slightly oblong balls.
Next make a big ball from the potato mixture.flaten this and place the paneer ball in this.
Enclose and shape like an egg.
Deep fry,but be careful.





Gravy
1 cup.............. fried onion
2-3 pureed.... tomatoes
4tbsp...............magaz tari (kharbooje ke beej)
4tbsp ..............cashewnuts
2tsp................ poppy seeds
1 cup.............. milk
A few strands saffron soaked in warm water
1-2................... bay leaf
½ tsp............... turmeric pwd
1tsp................. red chilly pwd
11/2 tsp.......... coriander pwd
 1tsp............... garam masala
Salt to taste

Heat ghee in a pan.
Add the fried onions and ginger garlic paste.
Add the powdered magaz tari,cashews and poppy seeds.
Roast for a few minutes.
Add tomato puree.
Add spices.
Let cook on slow fire till all the moisture is evaporated.Add milk.
Cook on slow fire till ghee starts floating.
Add the saffron.

To serve.....
Cut the koftas into two.
Place them in a flat serving dish.
To heat these you could microwave the koftas  for a few seconds.
Pour the gravy on and around the koftas.
Garnish with cashews ,raisins and fresh cream if you wish.
I did not put the gravy on top so that you could get a clear view of the inside of kofta.
Serve these with Lachha Parathas or Naan. 








Pin It

22 comments:

  1. looks awesome ..looks like a tedious job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Vaishali, Quoting Masterchef's anchors to describe this -Restaurant Quality Dish.

    Pradnya

    ReplyDelete
  3. superb. I'm getting an idea of the taste. Love it vaishali.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rich and delicious. Wonderful transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow so much of work n it has come out too good.. i wanted to try these but it involves so much of time.. u hv made it perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its looks absolutely marvellous, rich and incredible..WOrth to try this kofta..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome...From the first pic, I guessed it as egg. Only when I read the text below, I knew, what it is. Admire your patience to do this elaborate dish. Superb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know I had always wanted to make this kofta, never came around preparing it..I have a wonderful recipe, at least wonderful to read..will check your recipe also when I decide to make it..looks so good..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi vaishali
    This kofta curry looks so delicious to the core...well explained...I came to know abt ur space thru blog hop wed ...enjoyed reading your space n I was impressed with ur recipes n this is one such example...glad to follow u
    Plz do visit mine when u find time :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful dish ! I like it when you said it mocks an egg curry.. bookmarked ! Will let u know when i try it Vaishali..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had difficulty leaving comments y'day!
    This kofta is wonderful...both the kofta and gravy look rice and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yummy kofta...very nicely done...

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, wow, wow, amazing recipe, pictures. I would love to try these kofta :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great way to convert a meat dish vegetarian. I can almost all the layers of ingredients in these fried beauties.. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! They did come up with complicated dishes, didn't they!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great adaptation of the non-veg version! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautifully crafted koftas...mouthwatering :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Howdy! This is my 1st сomment here so I just wаnted to give a quiсk shout
    οut and tell you I truly enjoy reading through your articles.
    Can you ѕuggest any other blogs/websites/forums that cοver the same topicѕ?
    Thanks a lot!

    Fееl free to visit my blog poѕt ... get cash for surveys review

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thiѕ іs a topіс that іѕ closе to my heагt.

    .. Takе care! Where are your cоntact details though?


    Fеel free to visit my wеblog: get ripped 6 pack abs fast

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hі, i belіeνe that i sаw you visited my web site thus i got herе tο go bacκ the want?
    .I'm trying to in finding issues to enhance my website!I guess its adequate to make use of some of your ideas!!

    Also visit my website - get cash for surveys review

    ReplyDelete