Ginnappa


It’s sad that we are not so familiar with different names of  Indian state cuisines.For this months Indian Cooking Challenge,we were given a Andhra speciality.The name sounded alien to me.I went on the ingredients..very familiar,with a few ingredients here and there. Sindhis  call it Chawaran jo Dhodho,I move further ..the cooking procedure is like Maharashtrian Thaalipeeth.So many states merging in to make Ginniappa.

While making the dough I was confident I will not go wrong .I made the dough with the given measurements.When I made the first one..it got over in tasting,we were happy with the taste,but I felt this should have been more thin and  crunchy. I had finished clicking..but was not satisfied with the result.The kids liked it and wanted to eat these for dinner along with some spicy potatoes…so I made some Till Wale Aaloo ….




1cup............ rice flour
¼ cup.......... sesame seeds
2tbsp........... roasted peanuts
½ cup ..........finely chopped onion
½ cup ..........chopped spring onion
½ cup.......... coriander leaves
Few chopped curry leaves
Salt to taste

To be made into a paste
5-6............... green chillies
1tsp............. jeera
1....................onion
Mixing all the ingredients,bind a dough a little softer than chapati dough.
Heat a gridle.Grease it.
Take a ball of dough and press it into a flat cake.using your fingers spread this on the gridle.
Thinner the spread the crunchier it will be.
Make a few holes in it…I used a thin rollong pin..but you can use your index finger.
Let cook on slow fire.
Add oil in these depressions for crunchier and even cooking.
Serve hot with chutney or enjoy as it is.
I served with Till Wale Aaloo

the thicker version

Til Wale Aaloo
2cups.............. boiled ,roughly mashed potatoes
2tsp................. ghee
1tbsp ..............sesame seeds
1tsp................. jeera
¼ tsp............... hing
¼ tsp............... turmeric pwd
1tsp................. red chilly pwd
½ tsp.............. garam masala
Salt to taste
Garnish
Coriander leaves
peanuts


Heat ghee.
Add jeera,hing and sesame seeds.
Let crackle.
Add the mashed potatoes.
Add spices and mix well.
Sprinkle crushed peanuts and coriander.


the thinner version

reverse side

·       I was not happy with the thickness of first one I added some water to the dough and tried making another one.This time it was thin and crunchy.I did not put too much chilly as the potatoes and chutney both were spicy.I made small ones and since the gridle is big I could cook three at a time..well I made them on slow fire and each time it took nearly 15 minutes to get that crunchiness. ….very light and delicious..Thanks Valli for a wonderful recipe..and yes since it was dinner needless to say I had to make more dough and      …my patience was being tested!!Finally hubby said…Areey yaar…forget the crunchiness…mote..mote ban kar khatam karo…..because that’s the difference in Ginnappa and Chawaran jo Dhodho!!


Labels: , , , , ,