Usal Poha

BM # 14   Day 2

I am a very early riser ,its only on Sundays that I like to laze a bit and so my gym time changes.While going to the gym  I pass two three cart wheelers selling poha.If the car window is open I get a beautiful aroma ….These cart wheelers are always crowded. One fine Sunday on my way back I decided to get these pohas.I told the vendor  to pack two portions.Then I saw a big pot on the stove,I wondered what this was…..in the meantime the vendor asked  if I wanted Usal Poha. Usal Poha?....Now this was new to me,so I decided to buy one of each.I got home and was keen to try this new dish…my..my..unbelievable..real yummy.a little sweet,little tarty and quite spicy…with a crunch of farsaan and onions…...I simply loved the dish.What a wonderful deal for mere Rs 10/-.The vendor starts as early as 7a.m  and goes on till about mid noon. Truly an interseting blend of two traditional  dishes. Pohas from Madhya Pradesh and Usal from Maharashtra !


Poha
2cups ..............beaten rice / poha
1tbsp.............. oil
2........................finely chopped green chillies
Few curry leaves
½tsp......................  musturd seeds
¼ tsp...................... turmeric pwd
2tsp........................ lemon juice
2tsp........................ sugar
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves

Wash the poha 3-4 times in a seive.
Let dry for a few minutes.
Sprinkle salt ,sugar,turmeric pwd and lemon juice.
Mix well.
Heat oil.
Add musturd seeds,curry leaves and green chillies.
Add the spiced poha.
Mix well  and let simmer for a few minutes.
Add coriander.


Usal
1cup.......... white/green  peas(the dry variety) soaked and boiled
1tbsp......... oil
¼ tsp ..........cumin seed
½ tsp.......... red chilly pwd
½ tsp......... dhania –jeera pwd
¼ tsp......... black salt
To be made into a paste
1..................green chilly
A bunch of coriander
Small piece ginger
2tbsp........ lemon juice

Heat oil.
Add cumin seed.Let crackle.
Add the paste and all the dry masalas.
Add the boiled peas.
Saute for a few minutes.
Add 1cup water.
Let boil for about 5 minutes.
Check the spices..if you want to make it hot add some red chilly pwd.


Salad
1.............onion finely chopped
1.............tomato finely chopped.
Coriander leaves
Mix all and keep for garnishing

Serving style
Place the poha in a bowl.
Pour the usal on these.
Sprinkle salad.
 Garnish with ratlaami sev or mixed spicy farsaan.
Sprinkle chaat masaala.
Squeeze lemon juice.
Serve hot.


The pohas should absorb the gravy of usal ..do not put too much gravy otherwise they will be floating …which shall not taste as good.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#14


sending these to Susan's MMLA  45  hosted by Girlchef ,Rasya's am the Star ,Love Lock Series hosted by Vardhini





Labels: , , ,