Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Gulkand / Rose Petal Preserve

 BM # 17   Day 3

I love roses specially the Indian variety.They lend a heavenly aroma.Love to use them in my dishes. Recently when our friend’s son got married we were left with a big basket of these.Normally I dry them , but since I had a good stock of the dried ones , thought of making Gulkand.

Gulkand is rose petal preserve which originated in India and Pakistan.This is a cooling agent and used mainly in paans. This is also used in some of the Indian sweets, it is quite sweet so people who are diabetic should not consume it.The procedure to make is really simple…

Rose petals
Sugar

Wipe the rose petals with a damp cloth.
Discard the wilted or dry leaves.
Dry them for a while.
Using a sterilized  jar put a layer of rose petals .
Next a layer of sugar, again petals.
Repeat till petals are over.
Place the jar in the sun.
This shall take 2-3 weeks .
It can be stored  in the pantry and does not require refrigeration.
If you wish you can add cardamoms to it.




 


Pin It

26 comments:

  1. My fav when in India. Looks tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was pregnant with my daughter, my hubby got this for me. But after that never got a chance to taste this.

    Divya's Culinary Journey
    Showcase- FUN IN THE SUN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this one Vaishali.Its so delicious. I used to make Milkshake with it and it was awesome.Wish I had some now.Nice clicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. New one and it looks awesome Vaishali.

    Vardhini
    Event: Kid's Delight

    ReplyDelete
  5. I buy these now and then. I refrigerate them and then have a spoonful in the morning. You can literally feel the chillness and fragrance of the rose petals spreading through the body!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice recipe and perfect presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow gulkand looks irresistible and well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's really such a simple method to make this preserve!..thanks for sharing this Vaishali..so how much quantity is normally advised to be used?..few drops right..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. at least 1/2 tsp would go in a paan...but with milk it depends how sweet u want..a shake would taste awsum!!

      Delete
  9. Wow I like those pan with gulkhand and milkshake with gulkhand is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm my fav gulkand, looks so tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely used to love gulkand in Paan. It has been so many years since I had a nice paan :)

    Veggie/Fruit A Month-June (Blueberry)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's such a flavorful preserve. I can almost smell it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh....just the sight of first picture transferred me to some Mughal empire....lovely Vaishali....only you can think of such exotic dishes with simple ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks so easy vaishali!! but i dont get these roses here!!! i have tasted these, can feel the freshness as i talk!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Vaishali you make it so beautifully simple. Any rose is okay or you need special ones reason being I tried it once out of the red roses given to me but I must hav emade some mistake. :D
    I am hosting Kitchen Chronicles Theme Go Nuts...Do send me your entries

    ReplyDelete
  16. well actually you need the Indian variety of roses...we call them desi gulab..but u cud try again with those english roses..may be u cud add a bit of rose essence..try it shud work:))

    ReplyDelete
  17. My mom used to make this...looks very nice

    ReplyDelete