Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sun Dried Tomatoes

BM # 17    Day 1

I had heard of sun dried tomatoes from my m.i.l and actually found it strange.She used to dry tomatoes and powder them up and use when fresh tomatoes would get expensive or  for making a quick meal.After I got married she gave up kitchen....and so I never thought of these tomatoes.Sometime back my son got a packet of these and used in pizza, they tasted awsum , immediately the thought process went back to yester years....and that’s when I decided to make these at home.These might not look attractive, but they taste great !!Here is how you can do them.....

Pick even sized red tomatoes.
Wash and wipe them.
Cut the tops and cut them into halves.
Place them in a strainer.
Grind the sea salt coarsely and sprinkle on tomatoes.
Sprinkle your favorite herbs if you wish to .
Place them in sun, in the strainer itself,keeping it on some pan,so that the excess water is drained.
Make sure to cover these with a muslin cloth and please pick them up every night.
This shall take about 8-10 days to get ready  depending on the weather conditions.
Once ready you can use them on pizzas, make pesto or make oil or even crush them to make gravy !

cut into halves

sea salt or mota namak as we call it

sprinkle salt

sprinkle herbs

the dried ones



Pin It

22 comments:

  1. wow that's awesome vaishali, have always wanted to make these, never came around doing it..I heard my mil also makes it..should also ask her how she makes..thanks for reminding..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have of these but never attempted to make them at home.Thanks for the recipe. Love the addition of herbs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read so many recipes using dried tomatoes but attempted making them once in the microwave( i do not get enough sun) But will definitely make it after monsoons. Love you addition of herbs.

    I am hosting Kitchen Chronicles Theme Go Nuts...Do send me your entries

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the addition of herbs to the tomatoes. Those are one flavorful tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vaishali good idea to store tomatoes. We make pickle with sundried tomatoes i made pickle already this year will try to store some sundried tomatoes next time. they are very useful too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is indeed a very useful post! I want to try my hand at making sun-dried stuff but I live in the Northeast where it is cold 70% of time in a year. And during sunny days I am away at work. So I don't know when.

    ReplyDelete
  7. heard this for the first time. great one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We use sun dried tomatoes in pasta too...they go well in any dish that needs a sour taste. Nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!! I use to buy a jar of sun dried tomatoes from Stop&Shop...will definitely try this at home

    http://anshu-mymomsrecipes.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow we usually buy the sun dried tomatoes soaked in oil here, never thought of making them at home,well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea. I have never prepared this at home but heard of it. You have tempted me to try...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did this once by drying them in the oven. I should try it out in the sun too .. some day :).

    Vardhini
    Event: Kid's Delight

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the concentrated flavor of these delicious dried tomatoes..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely!! i just bought a pack to try a new recipe :) ... next time will get home made organic ones from u maa ...:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vaishali very good idea....Never tried before....Looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. always have a small batch sitting in my fridge...i know they stay well outside...but little finicky . loved the charred color you have got on them due to the herbs..will be divine in sandwiches

    ReplyDelete
  17. with herbs, must be so flavorful

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have heard about sun dried tomatoes in lots of recipes.. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Recipe looks easy...if possible will try to make it on this summer here.Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I didn't know that they were so easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow!!!!love this post...looks great...always wanted to do this...now i can!!

    ReplyDelete