Friday, July 6, 2012

Peppery Moong Daal Waffles


As soo as Kalyani announced this month’s Magic Mingle, where the key ingredients are Yellow Moong Daal and Pepper, my mind could’nt think of anything else.After dinner I asked hubby if he had any suggestions…but he was too tiered and so put off the topic.I soaked the daal.I had already posted Moong Daal Cheelas..,Moong Daal Kachoris..Samosas…I finally decided to make waffles..this was something I had never tried and they seemed perfect.......zero oil and yet delicious.So here goes the recipe....

1cup............ moong daal 
2....................green chillies
1tsp............. black pepper,coarsely ground
2tbsp.......... coriander leaves
1tbsp.......... carrots, finely chopped
1tsp............ baking soda
salt to taste
Wash and soak the moong daal for 3-4 hours.
Grind to a fine paste with salt and green chillies.
Heat a waffle maker .
Add the rest of ingredients to the batter.
Spread this batter in the preheated non stick waffle maker.
This shall take about 10 minutes to get ready..
Serve hot with spicy mint chutney, green chilly pickle.
Of course you could always drizzle some butter for the kids.

 




Well , for those of you who do not have a waffle maker, you can use the snack toaster , and yet another option is to steam it. Either ways it shall come out great.My hubby really appreciated this snack and gave some suggestions for variation, which I shall try and then post.
Moong Dal and Black Pepper
 
These waffles also go to Kids Delight hosted by Vardhini and Show me your Hits by Nalini


Pin It

22 comments:

  1. Wonderful waffles, surely interesting recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, i know you will come definitely with a fabulous dish, here you are, fantastic waffles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow.... never thought of waffles with moong dal.. I do not own a waffle maker. Just to make this I have to get one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow these look delicious.
    Where did you buy the waffle iron? heer in India or abroad?
    I am hosting Kitchen Chronicles Theme Go Nuts...Do send me your entries

    ReplyDelete
  5. creative...never seen such an interesting recipe !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look sooooo tempting..... when did u get a waffle maker maa?? :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so inviting... very nice presentation :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Waffles look so fluffy and wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never thought of making waffles with moong dal..nice recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh ! whopper of a recipe :) :) super delish, and love the fact that its oil free too ! yummy !


    Kalyani
    Sizzling Tastebuds
    Event : Healthy Diet - Sandwiches
    Hosting Walk Through Memory Lane – July 2012

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a nice treat, I am still planning to buy one too.., These waffles look gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonderful savory waffles - they came out perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Vaishali, my comment somehow got lost. I am planning to make this for blog hop this month and was wondering how many waffles will this measurement of 1 cup dal make?

    ReplyDelete