Zero Oil Dahi Wada


When one says zero oil dahi wada somehow it's hard for people to believe this.Yes, this was my first reaction too. About 10 years back I was looking for some fat free recipes and that's when a friend suggested to make dahi wada's in a sandwich maker.I remember smiling to myself thinking my friend had gone crazy, but kept my mouth shut. All the same I did try those and found the result average. I never tried them after that.When Nupur announced this challenge I recollected my trial and decided to re do the same recipe.This time I kept the batter little softer and instead of soaking the ready dahi wada, I boiled them for one boil and let them be in that water for a longer period. As a result they absorbed a lot of water and turned super soft.

2cups...........udad dal,washed and soaked for 4-5 hrs
2....................green chillies
1....................small piece ginger
salt to taste
Grind the daal with green chilly ,ginger and salt to a fine paste.
Remove into a bowl and beat well,
Add a pinch of baking soda.
Preheat  a sandwich toaster.
Put a spoon ful of the batter in the toaster.
Sprinkle cumin seeds.
Shut the toaster cover.
Let the wadas cook.
This shall take about 8-10 minutes.
Cool.

Other Ingredients
Whisked curd with salt

Dry spices and Garnishes
Black salt
Chaat masala
Red chilly pwd
Roasted cumin pwd

Other Garnishes
Green chilly
Ginger
Raisins
Charoli
Pumpkin / melon seeds
Sweet chutney
Coriander leaves
All the garnishes are optional and subject to availability.

While preparing the wadas
Keep a pan full of water.
Add a pinch of asafoetadia.
Let the water boil.
Add the prepared wadas.
Let boil for a min or two.
Switch off the gas.Cover.
Leave for about 30 mins.
After the water has cooled remove the wada and lightly squeeze them.
Place the wadas in a serving dish.
Pour whisked curd.
Sprinkle the dry spices.
Drizzle sweet chutney.
Garnish with coriander leaves,ginger and green chilly juillines.
You can also sprinkle some raisins,pumpkin seeds or charoli.









toaster ones

paniyaram ones

I also tried one batch in the paniyaram mould.These came out average I assembled them separately, so I could get the feedback.Well the snack toaster ones were really appreciated..the paniyaram ones were not as soft but surely this option can be worked on to get better results.


Labels: , ,