Sunday, September 30, 2012

Eggless Apricot Pistachio Biscotti for Eggless Baker's Group


Biscottis are Italian biscuits, which are dry and crunchy.It was interesting to read that the term comes from the word Biscoctus, which means twice cooked/baked. Well, I would say they are similar to our desi rusks/toast which are also baked twice. We Indians love to dip them in our tea. Even little kids love this crunchy bread.

For this month we were given Apricot Pistachio Biscotti by Gayathri for the eggless bakers group. I found the recipe very interesting but as usual was very apprehensive about it. I followed the recipe word by word with the exception of egg .I used flax seed powder  to substitute egg.
 1 cup........ granulated sugar
1 tbsp........ orange zest
2 cups .......all purpose flour
1 ¼ tsp...... baking powder
½ tsp.......... kosher salt  
1 cup......... butter
1 tsp.......... orange extract
1 tsp.......... vanilla extract
2 tbsp....... flax seed powder dissolved in 6 tbsp water
1 cup......... pistachio
1 cup......... chopped apricots
Pre heat the oven to 180deg.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon mat.
Rub the sugar and orange zest until moist and aromatic.
Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
Beat the butter and sugar mixture with an electric mixture until fluffy.
Add orange and vanilla extracts.
Add flax seed pwd  mix.
Reduce the speed to low and add the flour.
Beat until combined.
Stir in pistachios and chopped apricots with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
Half the dough and place both portions on the prepared baking sheet.
Form each piece into a 10 inch long log.
Place them at least 3 inches apart.
Smooth and slightly flatten the logs with dampened finger.
Bake for about 25 minutes or until the logs are golden brown and firm to touch.
Cool on a baking sheet or a wired rack for 10 minutes.
Reduce the oven temp to 150deg.
Transfer the log to a cutting board and with a sharp knife cut each log into ½ inch slices.
Arrange the slices standing them on their bottoms of the baking sheet and return to the oven for about 15 minutes until crisp.
Cool completely.
Store in an air tight container for up to a week.











 The crumbled pieces....




I cut down this recipe to half. Although from the one log that I baked I must have got only three proper biscottis which I saved for the pictures, I must admit that it turned out absolutely yum and we all loved it. On cutting the loaf ,it went on crumbling, I had a hard time placing it on the tray, I wonder where I went wrong. I would love a feedback from all of you so that I do not land up in a similar situation  again.Trust me I would have redone the biscotti, had I not baked on the last day!!
Pin It

9 comments:

  1. these seem very nice...i am waiting for my turm to make them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours looking yummy esp the last one with a cup of tea and I love all your variety Thaali.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Biscotti Vaishali. Even I had the same problem of crumbling and am waiting for someone to come up with a perfect recipe. But it tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well browned. Looks crisp and perfect

    ReplyDelete
  5. The biscotti does look awesome Vaishali. Love being a part of this group...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice Vaishali! Love the setting of ur pics..

    ReplyDelete