Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Butter Cake with Blue berries for Eggless Baker's Group


As soon as Gayathri announced the Butter Cake for the Eggless Bakers Group, I wanted to try it right away.I was not happy with my last challenge which I had postponed till the last day. Anyway this butter cake sounded very interesting, different from what we normally bake.



I  made some changes to the given recipe, I replaced 1/2 cup of flour with custard pwd and used dried blue berries instead of raisins.
I used flax seed pwd to replace eggs.

2/3 cups ....sugar
1/2cup....... sugar
1cup.......... Apf
2/3 cup...... custard pwd
2tsp............ baking pwd
1/2cup........ blue berries
3tbsp.......... flax seed pwd
6tbsp.......... water
1/2 cup....... milk (the original recipe called for 1tbsp)
2tbsp.......... butter
1/8 cup....... butter

Use a 7" spring form tin or a loose bottom tin.
Preheat oven to 170 C.
In a bowl beat butter and sugar till creamy.
Add flax seed mix gradually.
Beat until combined.
Fold flour into buttered mix.
Add milk and mix well.
Stir in the berries.
Pour batter into the prepared greased and lined cake tin.
Bake until golden.
Mix 1/2 cup butter and brown sugar .
Remove cake from oven and spread the butter mix immediately.
Let it soak for a few minutes.
Remove it from the tin and serve warm.















The cake turned out absolutely wonderful and everyone in the family enjoyed it.I carried half of this to a work shop I was attending and everyone went crazy.


I must tell you that while making the batter , after mixing my flour, the batter was very dry, I had added the 1tbsp of milk which was required in the original recipe, but since I had added custard pwd, may be it absorbed all moisture  and made the batter dry, I had to add more milk to get the right consistency of the batter.



After removing the cake I observed too many cracks and was disheartened, but went ahead and spread butter mix, I did not have brown sugar so I used Demerara sugar.After a while when I removed the cake from the tin I was absolutely delighted to see that it had risen very well and of course the taste was too good.I used salted butter, which gave a mild salty flavor , but very very pleasing, in fact my son gave me 5 stars for it.


linking it to Bake Fest an event by Vardhini.

Blog Event


Pin It

9 comments:

  1. The Cake looks delicious and loved the addition of Custard Powder and berries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Addition of custard powder - I have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that the cake turned out perfect. It has a nice dome and it looks super soft...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, love here the addition of custard powder and blueberries, wish i get a slice rite now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. Will love to try my hand at this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good idea to use custard powder...will try it sometime. Love the texture of the cake. Love your cute little tea pot too...wish I can grab it from the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. can i replace berried with chopped macademia nut

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Berries are there to sweeten the cake and give it that little zesty flavor, you could omit them as per taste...and absolutely no issues in using macadamia ..in fact you can be innovative and add more nuts too. Enjoy Baking! Do let me know your feed back on this trial.

      Delete