Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Paav Bhaji Khakhra

BM # 26   Day 3

I have never sent my children to a hostel, but my friends who had children studying abroad have constantly been worried as to what the kids would be eating there. Besides one always feels the children like home goodies and they wait whenever there is a festival or some friend or relative coming in. Khakhras are very popular here in Gujrat and have a very good shelf life. Made of wheat flour, these are crunchy and flavorful.I have made some simple khakhras too, for the ICC and those too make a great snack for the kids.These are a are a wonderful substitute for our rotis .


150 gms whole wheat flour
4 tbsp oil
1 big tomato , crushed
1 tsp garlic , chopped
1 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp pav bhaji masala
Heat oil.
Add garlic.
Saute’.
Add the spices and saute’ for 5-7 minutes.
Cool.
Take the flour in a bowl.
Add the prepared cooled puree’.
Do not add hot puree’ as this cracks will appear in the khakhras.
Bind a semi soft dough.
Make small balls from this dough.
Roll into chapattis, but they should be paper thin..
Finish rolling all chapatis.
Switch on the gas and cook the chapatis, making sure they do not have a single blister.
They should be half done.
Remove from the gridle and apply ghee to each chapati.
Sprinkle paav bhaji masala.
Stack them one on top the other.
Once these are done let them cool and come to room temperature.
Heat the gridle and place one chapati on the gridle.
Press the chapatti with a kitchen towel starting from the sides and coming to the centre.
Flip it over and repeat the process.
You will have to switch off and on the gas to maintain the absolute low temperature.
Once the khakra is crisp, remove from the gridle and let cool.
Repeat with the rest of chapatis.
On cooling they shall become dry , crisp and crunchy.
Store them once they cool down.


  










Pin It

25 comments:

  1. wow superb idea... must be very delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at the dish itself makes me drool, sounds fantastic to add pav bhaji masala is khakhras.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved as much as you'll receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.

    My blog post - saffron extract
    Also see my web page :: saffron extract

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mouth watering Khakhra's....

    ReplyDelete
  5. What innovation. Here I struggled to make just the simple ones and you have created a stunning pav bhaji one. Very inviting

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering Pav Baji and Khakkra? now I understand. what a wonderful combination so tempting... yummmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Vaishali, are you in Ahmedabad ? I live in Ahmedabad too and would love to catch up with food bloggers here...Do drop in a line when you can...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Though I haven't tried making them at home, We purchase them regularly and really like them. How do the commercially sold ones so wafer thin? Are they machine made?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Pic Vaishali. Though I have heard praises for these in my in-laws house, I have never tried them. Yours look perfect and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bookmarked Vaishali!!My daughter will love this:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so wish I can get my hands on those delicious looking khakras.. They have come out PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I ahve never made Khakaras and these look delicious. What a perfect circle when rolling out the dough....perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow it tempted me so much,wanna make them...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Drool worthy khakhras...I have been thinking of making these for a while now...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. Perfectly shaped.. Awesome pictures.Love the step by step instructions

    ReplyDelete
  16. Must have tasted wonderful with the pav bhaji spice. Loved the step wise instructions Vaishali...

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow...must try khakra ta have sometime. Have nevr tasted pab bhaji flavour. Must be yumm! And what a cute idea, holding the Pav Bhaji card for the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the stuffing added Vaishali, what a flavoursome snacks..my kids loved what I got from Ahmedabad, will have to buy for them from here..:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. this looks lovely , and always wanted to make this at home, but think it is a tedious job, even if not in hostel, son already wants to eat variety every day

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mouth-watering, i can imagine how aromatic the khakra's would be with the Magic of Pav Bhaji Masala!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh pav bhaji masala in khakhra!!! that should be so aromatic and so flavorful!!
    Sowmya
    Ongoing Event - HITS - Diabetic Friendly
    Ongoing Event + Giveaway - Italian Dishes

    ReplyDelete