Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Ragda Pattice / Potato Cakes with Lentils

BM # 26   Day 3


Ragda Pattice is a snack from Maharashtra, but very popular in Gujrat. I have faint memories of child hood when I visited my grandparents house in Mumbai. There was a old man , called Ganesh who sold these beautiful pattice. His way of preparing was a little different. Usually the dish has a patty and spiced white grams, with spicy, tangy and crunchy accompaniments. Ganesh’s way of preparing this was a little different he even added pav to the Ragda Pattice. Ever since I started making this dish, I always add pav to it and serve it as a complete meal. Looking at the way all the things are piled up, my friends call this dish”A Mountain”. Here is my version of Ragda Pattice for the third day of BM.

Ragda 
250 gms white peas, soaked overnight 
2 tomatoes, pureed 
1tsp cumin seed 
1tsp chilly ginger paste 
¼ tsp red chilly pwd 
½ tsp coriander pwd 
1tb sp mint and coriander chutney 
Salt to taste 
Boil the peas with salt and a pinch of turmeric pwd. 
Heat oil ,a dd cumin seed and tomato puree’. 
Saute’ and add the rest of the ingredients, along with the boiled peas. 
Mix well and add water to make a thin runny gravy. 

Pattice 
4 large potatoes 
1tb sp corn flour 
Pinch turmeric pwd 
Salt to taste. 
Mash the potatoes. 
Add corn flour, turmeric pwd and salt . 
Mix well and divide the mix into four balls. 
Flatten these and make like cutlets. 
Shallow fry.

Accompaniments 
Pav 
Chopped onion 
Chaat masala 
Lemon juice 
Coriander leaves 

Optional garnishing' s 
Chopped tomato 
Chopped beet root 
Pomegranate pearls 

Serving Style 
Cut a pav into two. 
Place the patty over the pav. 
Pour the gravy along with some peas. 
Put all the chutneys, onion and sev. 
Sprinkle chaat masala and drizzle lemon juice. 
Finally garnish with coriander leaves.






Linking this to Kid's Delight hosted at Simply Tadka

Pin It

25 comments:

  1. wow yummy and delicious ragda pattice:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wholesome meal, I agree. BTW, no onions needed for ragda? Also that beet addition is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suma, yes onions are a must..wonder how I forgot!:))

      Delete
  3. I really want to make this right away or even better feel like taking a bite directly from the screen. i am a big street food fan and his one is totally amazing. Bookmarking the recipe. Will make it soon and let you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These patties looks so cool. Its lunch time & my mouth is watering. craving for these now:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh ! anything for this dish Vaishali... it tops my fav street food and also comfort food list... please pass me that bowl....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so tempting all time favourite

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW.. ONCE AGAIN SUPER TEMPTING AND TOTALLY DELICIOUS RECIPE LOVING IT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg, you are killing me with ur street foods, ragda pattice one of my top most favourite chaat food, loveeeeeee it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious.....its 6am for me and feel like having that plate right away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am reminded of my mom. I used to order only this from the chaat shop and she used to nudge me to try something different. :) Am a big fan of this. Such a delicious dish. The plate looks cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oooh, mmm, mouth-watering, seriously i love them so much, but i don't have a decent chat-corner nearby to enjoy these. Should start making @ home, my only fear being, the list of ingredients and the process involved!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never tried it with the pav. Looks like a wonderful combo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this chat Vaishali. When I had made these a year ago, we all loved it....btw some of the pics didn't load fully..

    ReplyDelete
  14. delicious and tongue tickling chat!!!! love them...
    Sowmya
    Ongoing Event - HITS - Diabetic Friendly
    Ongoing Event + Giveaway - Italian Dishes

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow.. Awesome looking ragda pattice.. One of my favorite street food.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Even though hearing this first time, it's tempting me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Total meal in itself, Vaishali! My mouth is watering just looking at the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our family favorite too! Though I have no heard about pav being part of it! Beetroot is an interesting topping!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woow!!your pattice makes me drool,I love the chaat items..Ragda pattice are my all time favorite..

    ReplyDelete
  20. this looks so delicious with the flavorful gravy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Patties look so good Vaishali!!Love this street food!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whenever you visit mumbai try ragda pattice near ELCO on hill road bandra
    .

    ReplyDelete