Friday, April 19, 2013

Carrot Pickle


BM # 27   Day 19
Seasonal : Winter


This is a pickle recipe ,which I had been searching since years.My granny used to make this and it was everyone's favorite. Mom does not make any pickles and just could not recollect the measurements ...strange , but I got this recipe from a book by the Sindhi's living in Japan!...So here is a winter pickle . I made from 5 kgs carrots, but of course you can scale down as per need.

2 kgs red carrots
1 bunch fresh green garlic, tops and greens, chopped finely.


Pickle masala
5 tbsp ground fennel
8 tbsp mustard seeds, ground
6 tbsp red chilly pwd
3 tbsp turmeric powder
3 tb sp salt
3 cups mustard oil

How to go about
Peel and wash the carrots and cut them into 2" pieces.
Slit them cross wise, making sure the piece remains intact.
Mix in the green garlic.
( in case you do not get the fresh garlic, you could dried garlic. 2 -3 whole cloves of garlic, which has been ground)
Mix the spices with the oil
Fill in the slits .
Place them in a sterilized jar , pour some oil and cover the lid tightly.
Give a good shake.
This shall take about 5-6 days to get ready, but make sure to keep it in shade and shake the jar at least twice a day.









Since I made this pickle for my BM friends I wanted it to be really well packed. I used pet jars, lined them with a plastic bag , filled them with the pickle and secured the plastic bag with a cotton thread. The lid should be tightly closed.

For extra protection, I put these jars in another plastic bag.I covered the lids with a muslin cloth, tying it all around with a jute string.

The tag is a carrot made from craft appear, the stalk has been made with crepe paper. Just label your tag and slip it in the jute string .

You could draw different veggies or fruits to make your tags.These can also be made by drawing on a white paper and then filling with colors. The kids love doing such activities , so let them also get involved along with you.






Okay This is a dual post...where you get a bit of craft too!!

Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Lovely! I think I put this in another recipe too, your packaging skills are as great as your preparations! Love this carrot tag so much. It is still safe and sound with me and shown to all friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can guess this pickle will definitely keep warm during winter, love love the spices you used in this pickle..Love to get a bottle of this pickle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, finally here comes the delicious pickle we all have with us!..I liked the taste and goes so well with parathas..the spice picture looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this pickel so did the family. In fact the pressure on me for it was so much that i did a search in you place and as I could not find it I kept thinking I will ask you. Thanks for the recipe. Since we do not get Dili gajar anymore will have tomake it with regular english gajar. And Vaishali your packing as awesome.I still cannot believe the amount of work you have put it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New pickle to me.loved the colour of the pickle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrot pickle--you are making me crave for some right now. Can imagine how good it must have tasted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful clicks & mouthwatering pickle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminds me the time when mom used to make us help her with the pickles. :) Love the spices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I left a comment here, but wasn't sure it reached as there were problems with the net then. Wanted to tell you that I LOVED this pickle and finished off the entire bottle by myself. Hubby got in a bit now and then, that's all...thank you so much for making the meet such a memorable one and going through such a lot of effort for our sake :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the usage of fennel in the pickle! I should try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this recipe, haven't tried winter pickle, is green garlic and spring onion are same.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had packed to so well Vaishali and MIL really appreciated all the efforts that you put in to pack it. Made note of your pickle masala. And that tag is safe and sound in my collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vaishali another green garlic recipe? hope some courier guy is reading this and will sense my desperation and send some here:-). Anyway can i prepare this without the green garlic?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this carrot pickle... so tasty and mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vaishali, it must be an yummy one.
    A few questions. Are they regular carrots? Can we add any other vegetables along with these? And how long will it stay fresh?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Suma these are regular carrots available in winters, famous as Delhi carrots:)..well you can try adding other veggies, personally I have never tried.This pickle should stay good for at least six months..probably longer!Mine is still pretty good, I made it in jan.

    ReplyDelete