Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Daal Pakwaan

BM # 27   Day 9
Traditional Recipes : Sindhi

Today we start with the second set of recipes and our theme for this week of BM is Traditional Recipes.To begin with I have picked a typical Sindhi recipe.


Daal Pakwan, is a traditional Sindhi breakfast , but hardly served as breakfast.It is normally enjoyed as a meal. Yes, we do serve this for breakfast when we have special occasions or during wedding celebrations. 

The food trend is changing and the much relished fried foods are substituted by low calorie foods, but when we talk of Daal Pakwan we must remember that the Daal has zero oil, it is only the pakwan that is fried.Trust me it is a true delicacy and a must try.The accompaniments are the highlight of the dish , specially the chutney, which makes this a dish to die for! 


Pakwaan
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
Oil for deep frying
Sieve the flour.
Add salt.
Bind a stiff dough adding water little by little.
Make small balls from the dough.
Roll each ball into a 6" disc.
Prick with a fork .
This will prevent pakwans from puffing up.
Heat oil and fry one pakwan at a time, pressing downwards while frying on slow flame.
Drain with a perforated spatula, make sure the pakwan is crisp and golden.
Cool.
These can be stored for a few days.


Daal
1 1/2 cups Bengal gram
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
Soak the daal for 2-3 hours.
Add turmeric powder and salt and pressure cook for one whistle.
The daal should cook, but should not be over cooked, each grain of daal should be visible.
Cook for another 5-7 minutes, so that the daal is slightly thick, stirring it a few times.


Toppings
1/2 tsp mango powder
1/2 tsp chilly powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
Coriander leaves


Chutney
1/4 cup mint leaves
Few coriander leaves
4-5 green chillies
2 tbsp tamarind pulp
Salt to taste
Grind all ingredients to make a chutney.
The consistency of this chutney is quite runny.
The chutney is supposed to be a little tangy and spicy.


Accompaniments
Sliced onion
Roughly chopped fried green chillies

Serving Daal Pakwaan

Place the daal in a bowl .
Sprinkle the toppings.
Drizzle the chutney
Top with onions and green chillies and serve with pakwaan.
Make sure the daal is piping hot.





 

 










Pin It

23 comments:

  1. wow..what a tasty looking dish & tummy filling breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha .. dal pakwan.. long time since I made it..
    Love the chillies that you have added Vaishali..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heard about this but never tasted.Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mouth is watering Vaishali!! It really is a proper meal than a breakfast, right :)..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so yummy Vaishali..how I wish I got to taste this..:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look really good. I've had this so many times at my Sindhi friends home and I love it. Didn't we have this at Nest for breakfast one of the days?

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favourite Sindhi food, tasted it several times at friend's place,but yet to try them at home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. your photos are too good - so crystal clear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vaishali, the taste still lingers on , i had it for the first time and simply loved it, i have been talking about it until now, thanks a ton for sharing the recipe and though i want to try making it, i have an inkling it will not match up that day's experience

    ReplyDelete
  10. yummy it taste good as like the pic...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pictures are truly tempting!! Excellent breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vaishali the taste of Dal Pakwaan we had at The Nest was awesome. Thanks for sharing the recipe this is a must make soon recipe. Hope I do justice to it making it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely one, but this the first time hearing this. It's inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been planning to try it for years now. Coming from a Sinshi, it can't get more authentic I guess. :) Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dal Pakwaan <3 I wish you could see me drool right now Vaishaliji. I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heard about Dal pakwan, but never tried it. Bookmarked!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vaishali, I can never forget the breakfast which had dal pakwan and how you taught you to mix the sides and relish.Yummmmmm. Missing it all the more after seeing your pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have heard about this. Now time to cook this too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Vaishali, I am myself a sindhi, passionate about cooking, but haven't tried making dal pakwan all on my own, I have few guest coming nxt week and they are very fond of it, so am planning to make this, I need some help of yours, can you pls help me wih following queries:
    1 As I hav small baby I want to make pakwan 2-3 days ahead, and I'll need 22-24 pakwans, so I want to know if I can roll all first and then fry, means may be some may dry by the time am ready to fry, will it change the outcome.
    2.What should be the thickness of pakwan like gujarati rotli or sindhi phulka.
    3 Should I fry them on high flame or medium flame.
    4. How do I know that they are crrispy and done.
    ThanksAsha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Asha !
    Glad to know that you want to try Dal Pakwan.
    Yes you can make pakwan 2-3 days ahead, just make sure you pack them in a airtight container.

    The thickness of the pakwan should be like our Sindhi fulka.

    Start with heating the oil, do not over heat !...after adding the pakwan, reduce the flame and fry on slow flame, press it a little and then flip., once both sides are golden , remove.
    after the first Pakwan is removed check for crispness only after 5 mins.

    If it is not then either the dough is not correct or the flame is in appropriate.Try the second one beginning with low flame and then adjusting it near the end.
    I hope I have not scared you..trust me they will turn out perfect.
    all the best and please give me a feed back on it.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Vaishali, I have two more queries, wud be great if you can help me :
    1. As I need 22-24 pakwans, I need to,rollthem first and then fry, and also am slow in rolling maida, so may be some may fry by the time of frying, will it change the taste of pakwans.
    2. How much flour I need for 22-24 pakwans?

    Thanks
    Asha.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Asha !
      About 1 cup of flour should yield 4 medium size pakwaans.You can fry side by side , absolutely no issues.
      Start by rolling a couple of pakwaans first, once 8-10 are rolled , you can start frying.
      The taste will remain the same, no worries at all.

      Delete