Thursday, April 11, 2013

Maharashtrian Thaali

BM #27   Day 11
Traditional Recipes : Maharashtra


After working on thalis for BM my family kind of got addicted to these and would want me to try different ones. My daughter was coming from Japan , so this was a good occasion to make a thali,  I tried a Maharashtrian Thali , which might have been difficult to do without Pradnya’s help. 



I prepared the famous Maharashtrian Goda masala a day before. This masala is a must to be used in various dishes.


 Goda Masala  

3 tsp dry grated coconut 

3 tsp sesame seeds 

20 dried red chillies 

¼ cup coriander seeds 
4 bay leaves 
3 sticks cinnamon 
7 black peppercorns 
3 mace 
4 tsp fried onion 
Dry roast the coconut, sesame seeds, separately till pinkish brown. 
Add a tsp of oil and fry the rest of the ingredients one by one, till they release a nice aroma. 
Mix all ingredients with fried onion and grind to a powder. 




Menu
Bharli Batate
Tendili Kaju Upkari
Amati
Varan Bhat
Chawal ki Bhaakri
Dhapate'
Beet root koshimbir
Mix koshimbir
Kotambeer Vadi
Thecha
Curd
Papad
Salt
Shrikhand

Tendli Kaju Upkari
400 gms tendli / ivu gourds/ gherkins  cut into strips
½ cup cashew nuts, soaked for 3-4 hours

Tempering
½ tsp musturd seeds
¼ tsp asafoetida
2 red chillies
1 green chilly
2 sprig curry leaves
Heat oil.
Add all ingredients of tempering in the order they have been mentioned.
Drain the cashews and add to the tempering.
Add gherkins / tendli.
Add salt to taste.
Add about 2 tsp of water.
Cover and put some water on the lid
Cook till done.
Garnish lavishly with grated coconut and fresh coriander.


varan bhat
Kotambeer vadi

chaawal ki bhaakri

bhareli batata

bataka ne khees

kaju tendli upkari

shrikhand

aamti

dhapate'



I would have loved to give you all the recipes,   perhaps after this April BM I shall update this post with all the recipes of Maharashtrian Thali.


You could check some of the thalis that I have posted under thali's in the recipe index.

Pin It

18 comments:

  1. I dont mind inviting myself to ur place to enjoy this delicious foods.Super spread..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome spread.. my mouth is watering looking at the yummy food..

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are awesome Vaishali, this was the menu planned for one of the main meals of my wedding, beautifully done and you can put to shame some of the purists in the way you have made it, lovely

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG..is all I can say Vaishali!.. How you do these thalis and so elaborate and well researched is mind blowing..love the entire Thali!..wish I could invite myself..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome spread. I am coming over Vaishali just to eat this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my God Just yummm and wonderfulll!!! i just wish to treat myself with maharashtrian thali nw, i never knew such existed ever :O waiting for ur other recipes soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vaishali, if you want to store the goda masala, should we skip the onions and what are the dishes you suggest to use it?
    Love the curry. It is made similarly I guess in the Mangalore region in Karnataka.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suma, I made that powder and I was using it for more than three months..nothing went wrong!..only you must refrigerate.The Aaloo, aamti, baingan..all would need this masala.I am not very familiar with Manglore cuisine..so cant really say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am addicted to the thalis... so tempting.. love the presentation on plantain leaf...
    Sowmya
    Event - Bake Fest
    Event - Celebrate - Summer

    ReplyDelete
  10. So goda masala goes in the shopping list :-). Wonderfully prepared thali and so nicely presented. Hats off to you....really!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow awsome presentation, love to taste everything. Someof them are new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Incredible spread..Love everything in the thali. Neat presentation as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my Vaishali, what an amazing thali. Everything looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a king-ly feast. Love each and every component on the thali :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I still haven't gotten over your thali posts and now another one!Awesome Yaar. So many dishes and love the way you have served them on a plantain leaf. Great job Vaishali...

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is utter torture. I just cant keep seeing the pis and keep drooling....awesome presentaion

    ReplyDelete