Braided Samosas

BM # 28   Day 2


Samosas are a weak point with me.As a teenager I used to spend my pocket money on either samosas or paani puri.I still love to eat this lovely Indian stuffed pastry, sandwiched into two slices of soft bread, or a bun .The stuffing's have changed, but as yet my favorite stuffing is the original , with potatoes.I have stopped making these samosas now, as all are health freaks, but this time I decided to bake the samosas and give them a different look.I knew everyone would eat!...the only thing that was worrying me was the maida, but I have already made baked samosas with wheat flour..and I knew the braiding might get difficult with wheat flour.The samosas turned out pretty and yum, everyone enjoyed, yes I was told ..............wheat flour next time!!

Crust
2 cups all purpose flour 
2 tbsp oil 
Salt to taste 
Sieve the flour. 
Pour the oil in the flour and rub like bread crumbs. 
Adding water slowly, make a semi soft dough. 
Cover and leave it for 10 minutes. 

Stuffing 
4 potatoes, boiled and roughly mashed 
1/2 tsp cumin seeds 
1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder 
1 tsp red chilly powder 
1 tsp mango powder 
1/2 tsp black pepper 
1/2 tsp Garam masala 
Coriander leaves
Few mint leaves, finely chopped 
Heat oil. 
Add cumin seeds. 
Add all the spices and immediately add the boiled, mashed potatoes. 
Switch off the gas and add coriander and mint leaves. 
Mix well, check the spices to your taste. 
Cool the stuffing. 

Assembling the samosas 
Divide the dough in 6-8 balls. 
Roll into a disc. 
Make slits in the disc. 
Please refer the pics. 
Place the stuffing in between. 
Braid it like a bread..again refer to the pics. 
Preheat the oven and place the samosas. 
Brush them with oil. 
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp,toss and turn in between for even baking. 















Labels: , ,