Saturday, May 25, 2013

Choondo , the Gujju relish


BM #28   Day 2


Choondo is a sweet mango relish, which is prepared with grated raw mangoes and sugar. Preferably made with Vanraaj mangoes. It is a combination of Mangoes and sugar, where the sugar is determined by the sourness  of mangoes. Gujarati ladies are very good with their pickles and relishes and during the mango season one can see vendors selling these raw mangoes on the roads.They have small hand cutting machine for cutting the mangoes.They even grate the mangoes.The ladies buy the mangoes and get them grated or cut right there. This actually is a blessing!  My  MIL used to make this, but last year I made it .It was my first attempt and it came out pretty good. A perfectly prepared Choonda will never have crystallized sugar.Traditionally this is prepared by placing the mangoes and sugar in the sun.The sugar is dissolved by the heat of the sun .once the sugar has dissolved completely, the choonda is ready.There are some quick versions of this relish, but I stuck to the traditional method.

1 cup raw mango, grated 
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp chilly powder
1 tsp cumin seed
Mix all ingredients and place them in a wide mouthed pan.
Put the grated mango and sugar. Mix well.
Cover with a muslin cloth and place it in the sun.
Get the pan indoors in the evening.
Repeat day after day till all the sugar has melted and the raw mango has acquired transparency.
Store in a sterilized jar.





Over a period of time the choondo might turn thick , remove as much as required and microwave for a few seconds.This will refresh it.
This is normally served with Baakhri,Thepla ,Khakhras.

Just managed to click this picture showing the vendors grating mangoes for choonda.










Pin It

13 comments:

  1. Slurp, mouthwatering here.. Who can resist to this gujju relish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously salivating! This dish is totally irresistible !

    ReplyDelete
  3. just picked a bottle made by MIL, she does it the traditional way too...i cannot miss this at all...your picture above is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds so delicious. Have never heard of this though. Got to try this when the mango season is in full swing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh sounds delight!!!! Love the click where it is topped on Bhakri!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't tasted before, but the way you presented makes mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these Vaishali and mostly prepare in MW...nothing like a quick fix if you ask me..:)..of course anything for the traditional way to do...love those pictures..I must ask you how you always have the related pictures..do you take them ahead or take them while you make the dish..they add another dimension to your posts..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valli...well I have the habit of clicking on the streets and most of the times I have related pics with me, but at times I do put in that extra effort and click..this one is clicked after I did my post , fortunately I spotted these vendors and stopped to click:))

      Delete
  8. That is a yummy looking relish. I recently saw a quick version of this on a cooking show and was intrigued. Now I know how it is made traditionally..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yum. I love the pics and I amgreen with envy as you can get the mangoes cut or grated. No hard work of the cutting or grating at home. Booooooooo!

    On the plus side will see if I can convince hubby we need to shift to A'bad. I do not want tro risk going elsewhere. I may be stuck with grating my own mangoes.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for the recipe. Belonging to a marathi family, i loved choondo, so i used to buy it. But when I discovered that my son also loves it, i decided to make it in large amount and got this recipe by you.

    ReplyDelete