Sunday, May 5, 2013

Patra na Samosa

BM # 28   Day 3


Colacasia leaves , also known as Arvi ke patte are very popular in Gujrat. Normally we make Paatras from it.These are supposed to be really healthy.When ever using these leaves one has to be careful to remove the thick stems, and carefully, otherwise the leaves tear.Today I have made samosas out of these leaves.The folding is simple, just like the patti samosas , only that you don't have to turn around the leaves as much, just fill the pocket and seal it with the paste.I used the same stuffing as the ones I used for braided samosas.These are dipped into a batter and fried. After making these I wondered ..should they be called samosas or pakoras! whatever, you wish to call them.they taste amazing with the date and tamarind chutney. Of course the ketchup lovers can go ahead and relish with it.

4 colacasia leaves
Remove the thick stems and cut them into long strips.
You could check how to remove the stems here.

Paste
2 tsp gram flour
water for binding

Batter
1/2 cup gram flour
2 tsp rice flour
Pinch cooking soda
Salt to taste

Stuffing
I used the same stuffing that I used for braided samosas

Assembling the samosas
Take a strip of samosas.
Make a triangle pocket with flaps.
Fill in the stuffing.
Pull up the flap and apply gram flour paste to seal the samosa.
Dip them in the batter and deep fry.
Serve with sweet tamarind chutney.




These tasted delicious, though they were deep fried, they were not heavy. With a dough crust they surely get heavy, even though they might be baked.When my hubby tasted these, he suggested me to steam them next time and then just shallow fry.I loved that idea and wondered why it did not click me!Perhaps next time, till then enjoy these.



Pin It

14 comments:

  1. looks so delicious and different recipe for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. innovative recipe and nice presentation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. forget the Name.. this is one to die for.. I love patras too, and nice way to use the arbi leaves.. bookmarked :-) ur samosa series rocked Vaishali !

    Kalyani
    Sizzling Tastebuds
    Event : MLLA # 59 + giveaway
    Magic Mingle # 17

    ReplyDelete
  4. This surely is so innovative Vaishali..I would love to have a bite right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Unique samosa... I never thought this type of version

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing recipe1 I love your idea & the samos look super crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have created your own samosa there. Wow, I hope I have the same energy / enthusiasm of your's when I reach your age.
    My MIL had this plant and I always thought it to be an ornamental plant. lol
    Until a Gujarati neighbor told me that the leaves are used for cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one innovative samosa.. Love the idea and they look so crispy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. whats in the name? these are super delicious

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who cares what the name is as long it looks and tastes delicious.Very innovative recipe Vaishali.Love the crispy look...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very innovative! I have not had these leaves in almost 2 decades !

    ReplyDelete
  12. These leaves are new to me. Must have been very flavorful and tasty. Book marked

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the pics & mouth watering samosas

    ReplyDelete