Sanna, The Manglorean Idli for Indian Cooking Challenge




This month I decided not to do the ICC. Reason?...Heat!! I read the challenge and thought forget it..they are idlis..and who is going to work on these from scratch.Normally we get the ready batter so find it tedious to soak rice and grind.Anyway, just before the challenge date, I studied the recipe and decided to give it a try.I was actually nervous.Anyway I confirmed from Valii regarding the rice to be used and finally soaked the rice and daal.Since I do not have a grinder, I sent the rice and daal for grinding, to a grinding shop.It was one of those days when things cropped up, and I had to put the batter in the frig.Next day I asked Valli if I could still use the batter she gave me a green signal.Here I am with the most fantastic idlis.I was glad I attempted the challenge..I would have surely missed on one of softest idlis.









Batter
1 ½ cups boiled rice 
½ cup raw rice 
¼ cup split black gram dal / udad dal 
Wash and soak the rice and dal sperately for at least 3 hours. 
Grind the udal dal first , this helps in making the idlis fluffy. 
Grind the rice, using minimum water to a fine paste. 
The batter consistency should be that of a dosa batter. 
Pour in a big container, as there should be enough room for the batter to double during fermentation. 

Yeast solution 
1 heaped tsp yeast 
1 tsp sugar 
3-4 tsp luke warm water 
Add sugar and yeast to luke warm water. 
Leave it for 10 minutes to ferment. 
Sugar will help the yeast to dissolve and the solution will become frothy. 
Stir to make sure all yeast granules have dissolved. 

Back to batter 
Pour the yeast solution in the batter and mix well. 
Add salt. 
You could add sugar, as these idlis are mildly sweet.I did not add the sugar. 
Cover with a muslin cloth and leave it undisturbed for 2 hours and 1 ½ hours in hot weather. 
Prepare the dokla cooker. 
I used the every day katoris to fill in the batter. 
Do Not Sir The Batter. 
Pour the batter with the help of a ladle, making sure you take the top batter only, as this should not be stirred, once the first batch has gone in, cover the batter. 
Repeat for the rest of idlis.  While the idlis are steaming..you shall find the batter fermenting even more, and yet again take from the top. 
The batter should be half filled as these will fluff up. 
Steam for 15-20 minutes. 
Make sure to remove the lid carefully , so we do not see any steam drops on these cotton soft idli. 
Allow to cool for de moulding.
While un moulding these, I realized it did not come out as clean as the original idlis, but that does not hamper the taste in any way, so go ahead and try the world's softest idli!!



The idli were a treat and I guess from now on I will have to make the batter for idlis from scratch. I served these with Sindhi Curry and coconut chutney. You could call this Curry as Sambar's cousin , since it has the mild tanginess .
Thanks Valli and Shireen, one of the best challenges!!



Labels: ,