Monday, May 13, 2013

Shrikhand with Fennel and Cardamom



Shrikhand is flavored, thick sweet yogurt. When I came to Gujarat, and was offered Shrikhand, I refused to eat it.Curd and sweet, an absolute no no.Trust me all these years have passed by and it is only after I started blogging, I tasted it.I felt I should know the basic flavor of the dish to get it right. I will confess that it is actually not as bad as I thought, it is just that one needs to develop certain flavors.At home everyone likes it, specially with a poori. Now liking and eating are two different stories. Let us not get into that.

Kalyani announced this months Magic Mingle and our star ingredients are Curd and Fennel seeds.I made this over the weekend, hence decided to post it for Weekend Cooking too. My friends Valli and Champa join me for this every weekend.Do check out what they have been cooking .



2 cups curd
Sugar to taste
1/2 tsp cardamon powder
1/2 tsp fennel pwd
Tie curd in a muslin cloth and place it in a strainer over a bowl.
Place it in the frig for 2 - 3 hours.
Discard the water and sieve the thick curd.
Add powdered sugar, cardamon pwd and fennel seeds powder.
Mix very well.
Chill before serving.
Garnish with fennel and cardamon powders.


Pin It

14 comments:

  1. I too hated the idea until I really tasted it and now like it. Love the twist you gave to shrikhand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fennel is shrikhand is new.. to me! Lovely combination. will try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so surprised to know that it took so long for you to finally taste Shrikhand!. almost later than me..heheheh..:) I assumed one will end up eating and liking what's locally special. Maybe come to think of it, maybe I am yet to try certain dishes that are famous in my place. I love shrikhand and have been making it more recently. Hubby was shocked to know it's just curds with sugar, by the name he assumed something complicated will be done...I had a great pleasure telling him that it is just hung thick curds..should surely try with this spice...must be nice..

    ReplyDelete
  4. loved the innovative combinations, and an interesting post.. Today post ;http://nayanas-kitchen-kreations.blogspot.in/2013/05/ice-apples-and-mango-smoothie.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would so love to have a bowl of this, chilled in the fridge, such a lovely combination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would so love to have a bowl of this, chilled in the fridge.. this is such a lovely combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Veyr beautifully done. Vaishali I cannot have curds and sugar together. Guess I am yet to get over my dislike of it.
    I am guest hosting Healthy Salads till the 31st May ‘2013. Do send me your entries

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh wow very interesting flavour in this shrikand :) looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Shrikhand but with fennel? Should try it sometimes. Those cups are cute Vaishali.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An interesting twist of adding fennel to shrikhand..I have just about started to appreciate shrikhand so I probably should try variations as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never knew so many did not like curd and sugar. I am a big fan of this and would def like to try this version. perfect refreshment for the summers.

    ReplyDelete