Friday, August 9, 2013

Thai Red Curry


BM # 31   Week 2  Day 1

Week 2 begins and for this week I have picked Main Course as the theme .When we say Main Course , it gives you such a wide variety.It was rather difficult to choose, but I have tried to put together  some mini platters  for the coming two days.For today it is Thai Food.Thai food is one of my son's favorite food, it's light and if one has the ready paste and ready coconut milk, it is such a quick affair.

 I have always made the Thai Green Curry, so this time I decided to make the Red one, I made the paste myself, but I used ready coconut milk.One can use different veggies for the curry as per one's taste.


Red Thai Curry Paste
10 red chilles , soaked in warm water for minutes and drained
1 onion , chopped
4 cloves garlic
1 tbsp ginger
2 lemongrass
6 stalks of coriander leaves
1 tbsp coriander powder
2 tbsp cumin seeds powder
1/2 tsp white peppercorn
1/2 tsp salt
Grind all the ingredients to a paste in a mortar or a food processor using a little water.
Store in an airtight container (for upto 1 month). Alternatively, freeze for upto 3 months.
Use as required.
Tips
To obtain a bright red curry paste, use red Kashmiri chillies.
adapted from Tarla Dalal



6 to 7 tbsp Red Curry Paste
2 cups coconut milk
1 tbsp cornflour , mixed in water
1/2 tsp soy sauce
15 basil leaves, chopped
1/2 cup French beans
12 cup carrots
1/2 cup tofu
1 cup cauliflower florets
1 tbsp oil
salt to taste

Mix the cornflour and coconut milk.
Heat the oil in a large pan, add the red curry paste and fry for a few minutes.
Add the coconut milk, soya sauce, basil leaves and all the vegetables.
Simmer for 10 minutes till the vegetables are tender.
Add salt.
Boil for 1 to 2 minutes till the curry thickens.
Serve hot with steamed rice or noodles.


This curry has a very subtle flavor , of course one can make it really fiery, but I like it milder.You could add more red chillies if you wish .








Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Thai red curry looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful presentation..Always read about thai, though yet to try it myself...should be doing it one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing recipe..and I love the colors and the presentation too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting curry and presentation... love the chili shape platter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful Thai Curry ! Loved your presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have heard of thaii curry paste but haven't tried it yet. Curry looks very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am in love with ur bowls, they looks damn cute..Thai foods are my favourite foods, i can happily have this curry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely presentation for this flavorful Thai Curry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome presentation. Love Thai red curry -- so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the service dishes. So asian. :) Red curry is my all time fav. Its high time I make one on my own and not from the pre packaged pastes :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the serving dishes you have used. Great presentation and yummy looking red curry too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my favorite cuisine is Thai..
    Red curry looks awesome and yummy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy! I love thai curries :) The bowls look awesome!

    ReplyDelete