Imli ki Kulfi

BM # 32    Week 2 
Theme: Street Food
Cooking with alphabets : '' I ''


Three years back before our second school reunion , some of my school friends and I met up for dinner.When we were about to call for the dessert ,one friend suggested that we could eat Imli ki Kulfi. Now what was that? Born and brought up in Delhi I am normally aware of all foods, specially the  street food , but this was new to me.I jumped at the idea and was curious to know what went into this Kulfi.I was dying to taste it. 

The kulfi wala had a bicycle and I was amazed to see the variety of kulfis he had.He stood in the car park of the  famous South Extension market of Delhi.Everyone ordered different kulfis but my heart and soul wanted the Imli Kulfi .So here I was relishing the Kulfi.It tasted tangy, sweet and just wow!!From the flavors I could make out the ingredients, but I wanted to know what exactly went in. I asked the vendor who did not want to disclose his trade tricks.My friends were in a fun mood and they challenged me to get the recipe.I took out my camera and told the vendor that I was from the press and I wanted to do a write up advertising his Kulfis. He immediately gave me the recipes.I took a few clicks and he was a happy man..and me..ah I had won my challenge and got what I wanted!!

I have scaled down his recipe and made minor change.The vendor did not use dates, but since dates lend a wonderful flavor  I have used them.


1/4 cup tamarind
1 cup dates, de seeded
1/2 cup jaggery
1/2 tsp black salt
1/4 tsp roasted cumin powder
1/4 tsp red chilly pd
Pinch asafetida
Salt to taste
Wash and soak tamarind in luke warm water.
Wash the dates, pressure cook them for 2-3 whistles and then simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove tamarind pulp. Seive and remove all extras.
Add to the dates .
Add jaggery and cook till jaggery melts and the chutney is thick.
Add all spices and cook for 5-7 minutes.
This is the concentrate for our kulfi.

To make imli kulfi  dilute the chutney with water. 
Check the spices and the flavors, they should blend well.
Pour into kulfi moulds and freeze.
Serve with a sprig of mint.
You could also serve this some chaat masala.


And here is that Kulfi wala and some of my notorious friends.


Labels: , , ,