Kardoi from Assam for Indian Cooking Challenge


Names can be so deceptive , truly when I heard the name Kardoi...I wondered what it would be. Valli announced this for our Indian Cooking Challenge. Kardois are sugar coated sweets snack made from either wheat or all purpose flour. These surely are pretty and have a artistic shape, Kardoi's are from Assam and generally made during the Bihu festival I checked the link and decided to do the savory version as there are no takers of sweet stuff .It is only after I saw the pictures at Sunita's blog, I realized I had seen these at the mithai shops in the farsaan sections.Practically all mithai shops have a tray full of these and to my knowledge they are called Karelas here. 

The Karelas that I have seen here are the savory version, made with all purpose flour , sometimes you see them with fenugreek leaves too. Anyway I followed Sunita's recipe , but I made mini version of these Kardoi's.


Savory Version
2 cups wholewheat flour /all purpose flour or even a combo of two flours will work well.
1/4 cup finely chopped spinach
1 tbsp finely chopped onion
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
a pinch of nigella seeds
1/4 cup grated carrot
salt to taste

Rub together the flour, salt and 2 tblsp oil with your fingertips.
Add the water gradually and knead to form a firm, but elastic dough.
Cover the dough and leave for a few minutes.
Make balls from the dough and roll them into big chapatis.
Cut to the desired shape.
Place one disc on the counter and with a sharp knife cut straight lines, making sure not to cut all the way through.
From one end start to make a roll, pinching the ends to bind. Push the two ends of the shaped kordoi gently to plump the middle. Place in a single layer on a dish covered with plastic wrap.
Deep fry the kordoi till crisp and place them on kitchen towels to drain the excess oil and let them cool for a few minutes.







I made a few Kardois and then I used the rest of the dough to make mini poori's We loved the flavor of these so I made another batch of this dough and made paratha's for dinner . The parathas looked colorful and delicious. The onion seeds lend a delicious flavor to these, so please do not skip them.


I would have loved to make a sweet version too, but apart from me no one wanted to eat them. I served them with red and green chilly sauce. In fact I remember Valli getting a similar sweet for the BM # 25 meet, and I had loved it. I will surely try the sweet version too and here is the recipe which I am copying from Sunita's blog for reference.

What’s needed (usual sweet kordois)-
2 C plain flour ( I used whole wheat flour-atta)
2 tblsp sunflower/vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
a pinch of nigella seeds(kal jeera)- optional
3/4 C of hand hot water( I used normal water)
oil for deep frying
for the sugar coating-
1/2 C water
2 C caster sugar ( or 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar)

Rub together the flour, salt and 2 tblsp oil with your fingertips.
Add the water gradually and knead to form a firm, but elastic dough.
Cover the dough and leave for a few minutes.
Divide the dough into twenty equal sized portions, shape into balls and flatten them.
Roll one into aproximately 4 and a 1/2 inches in diameter. With a sharp knife, cut straight lines , making sure not to cut all the way through.
From one end start to make a rol, pinching the ends to bind. Push the two ends of the shaped kordoi gently to plump the middle. Place in a single layer on a dish covererd with plastic wrap.
Deep fry the kordoi till crisp and place them on kitchen towels to drain the excess oil and let them cool for a few minutes.

Meanwhile, make the sugar syrup by placing the sugar and water together in a thick bottomed pan over heat. Bring to a boil. The mixture will start to foam. The syrup is ready when a tiny bit placed between your thumb and forefinger ( be careful not to get burnt) feels quite sticky, but is not of a thread consistency.
Reduce the heat to low, and gently drop the fried kordois into the syrup, one a time. Turn them over very gently, preferably with a straight spatula, to coat them in the syrup.
Remove from heat. You can also remove them from the syrup and let them cool completely. But if you like them extra sweet like me, keep them to cool in the pan, turning over now and then for a thicker coating of sugar. The kordois will harden on cooling.
When completely cold, the kordois can be stored in glass jars to keep them fresh for a few days .



Labels: , , ,