Monday, September 30, 2013

Zuppa Ingelse


BM # 32 Week 4
Theme: International 

Cuisine: Italian
Cooking with alphabets "Z"


Today is the last day in A-Z series.When I began preparing for this BM , I started with the alphabet Z. So, this was my first post , but actually last to be posted.

Zuppa Inglese is an Italian dessert.The word Zuppa in Italian Cuisine refers to both savory and sweet dishes.It comes from the verb inzuppare, which means to dunk.

The dessert is originally made with either sponge cake or savoiardi, dipped in Alchermes, a bright scarlet colored aromatic liqueur. It is layered with a creamy custard which is loaded with eggs and flavored with lemon zest.


I made this dessert twice, the first time I used whipped cream and mascarpone cheese, a layer of orange marmalade and some orange segments. The dessert came out awesome, but I felt it did not look like the Zuppa Ingelese pics that I had seen .I gave it a second try. this time I used thick custard and folded in some whipped cream.For that scarlet look I used mixed fruit jam and orange crush. this gave me the exact color and look  I wanted.

Well, there are lots of substitutes in this dessert, but I can promise you it tasted really very good and both the trials were equally delicious ,though my kids loved the second version more than the first.

There is nothing like a recipe to this dessert, it is all about assembling. I shall give you the recipe for the custard which is slightly different than the one we normally make.


Custard
250 ml milk
Sugar to taste
4 tsp custard powder
One big piece of lemon peel
Dissolve the custard in a few tbsp of water.
Boil milk, add sugar
Add the dissolved custard to the boiling milk, keep stirring all the time.
Switch off the gas.
Remove the lemon peel.
Let cool, be careful, skin should not form on the custard.
Fold in 1/2 cup whipped cream.
This was enough for three servings.


Here is what I used

Chocolate sponge cake
Orange juice
Mixed fruit jam
Orange crush
Custard mixed with whipped cream
Cherry and chocolate pieces for garnish

How to go about
Layer the dish with sponge cake.
Sprinkle orange juice, using this as a soaking syrup.
Mix the jam with orange crush to get that scarlet color.
Spread a layer of this mix over the sponge.
Spread a thick layer of the prepared custard.
Repeat layers.
Garnish with chocolate pieces and cherry.
This desserts need at least 4 hours resting time in the frig for the flavors to infuse, though the original one needs minimum 24 hours.
Serve chilled.



Friends this month long marathon with A-Z series has been very interesting and Kudos to every one for putting in efforts.Special Thanks to valli for organizing and being patient with all of us .


Here is what I posted during this month long marathon
 A-Z series
Week 1   Baking

Week 2   Street Food
Locho

Week 3   Regional
Qorma

Week 4   International
Z Zuppa Ingelse

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#32




This post also goes for the weekend cooking where Valli and Champa join me every Monday.

Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Very elegant and pretty delicious dessert, i can happily have them rite now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very very beautifully presented and delicious zuppa !! looks super yummy and am drool here !! wat an fabulous dish and recipe choices by you dear !! :) great work done !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, that is such an elegant looking dessert. I'm loving those cute glass pots as well. It was so much fun reading your A-Z series Vaishali -- thoroughly enjoyed all your posts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. very well presented as always, and loved the both the versions, i loved the pots as well which you have used to serve, had a beautiful time doing marathon with you and as always learned so much from you

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh picture perfect.. process is looking similar to Tiramisu!!! so yummy!!

    Sowmya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vaishali, as always you have done such an excellent job of this edition as well..each one was amazing and on top you did a theme per week, which was unbelievable for myself...I enjoyed each and every post and I was sure you must have something fantastic for the last one..no doubt you kept to your image!..this dessert looks fabulous...great efforts Vaishali..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg ! You are really a kitchen queen with lots of amazing recipes ...I enjoyed all your posts. This desert looks superb!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing looking dessert. I love the way you made it eggless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow.. super and excellent dessert and love the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a lovely assembly! Absolutely loved your creations and really enjoying reading through you month long posts! lovely pictures and awesome recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. you teach me about even more International dishes I had never heard of before

    ReplyDelete
  12. So so so so beautifully done! Great presentation and the talk of cake, marmalade/jam, custard is all making me so hungry!

    As always, the month long marathons bring out the best of you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My God if I was not amazed by what you had made before this one will certainly do the job. What a delicious dessert not to mention the cute pots and the amazing pics. LOve them.
    It was a a great series Vaishali and you certainly have made it more interesting and bought it to my notice that with a little planning and patience you can do wonders. I loved the entire series with you. There are some that I need to try and i will definitely try them out. And not importantly plan my week.:D

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooh...drooling here!Awesome click!!!And i learnt so many new dishes from this marathon!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very beautifully layered and the final look is stunning!

    ReplyDelete