Sunday, April 13, 2014

Bise Bili Huliyana - Karnataka Special

BM # 39
Day : 13
State : Karnataka


Like every state of India, Karnataka also has a wide variety of sub cuisines. The cuisine could be divided into four categories south Karnataka, North Karnataka, Coastal Karnataka and Kondava. Yes you are right we are cooking from Karnataka on the 13th day of this marathon.

The food of this state is rich and non greasy. It has both veg and non veg dishes. The non veg includes pork, chicken and sea food. The veg has a elaborate menu.

Rice is the staple, but wheat , Jowar and Ragi are also used to make chapatis. The rice is cooked in anormous ways. They make paper thin Akki rotis, Sannas, the softest and lightest idlis, and one can't miss the ever so popular dosas.They say that the dosas originated from Karnataka. Well I am a great fan of these dosas and enjoy them in the traditional style as well the modern fusion style. The Pav Bhaji dosa is one popular dosa on our menu. Infact I plan to write on fusion dosas , they have become such a rage. Of course that has to wait, for now only traditional food.The Udipi is connected to the traditional Karnataka food.

We can't miss the desserts of this state which are generally made with milk, coconut , jaggery and dry fruits. Are some of the popular desserts , but for today I have cooked BIse Bile Bhat. This is one of the most popular and common dish of the state . I had made this a good 15 years back , when I watched the popular Sanjeev Kapoors show Khana Khazana .

This rice is a one pot meal, combining the rice, sambar and veggies. My daughter tells me that at times she uses left over Sambar to make this rice and drum stick is a must ingredient. So here is Bise Bili Bhat garnished with boondi , the tiny lentil dumplings .


Bise bili huliyana 
1 1/2 cups rice
3/4 cup pigeon pea
3 tbsp oil
1 onion
Few curry leaves
2-3 green chillies
Few sambar onions
1-2 tsp turmeric powder
1-4 tsp asafoetida
1-2 tsp red chilly powder
2 tomatoes
Few French beans
1 carrot
1 drumstick
2 tsp sambar powder
4 tbsp ghee
2 tsp tamarind pulp
Salt to taste
1-2 tsp mustard seeds
2 dried red chillies
Few curry leaves

Hulianna Masala
1/4 cup Bengal gram
2 tbsp black gram skinless
2 Cardamon
4 cloves
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1" cinnamon stick
4 red chillies
Dry roast chana dal, urad dal, green cardamoms, cloves, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon and dried red chillies in a non stick pan till fragrant. Cool and grind to a powder.

Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
Slice onion and add along with curry leaves.
Slit green chillies and add with sambhar onions and sauté.
Add turmeric powder, asafoetida and red chilli powder and mix.
Add rice and toor dal and mix well.
Add 5 cups water and let it come to a boil.
 Chop tomatoes and add to the cooker. Add beans and carrots and mix.
Add drumsticks also.
Add sambhar masala and mix.
Close the cooker with the lid and cook under pressure till 3 whistles are given out.
Open the lid when the pressure reduces completely.
Heat ghee in a shallow non stick pan.
Add 4 tsps of the powdered masala and tamarind pulp to the cooker and mix well.
 Add salt and mix and simmer on medium heat.
When ghee in the pan melts, add mustard seeds, red chillies and curry leaves.
Garnish with boondi. 


This was a dish which my hubby enjoyed the most as he is one big fan of Sambar Rice. I am glad I made the dish as it has added on to the routine menu.I served it with onion and tomato raita.


Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Your version has surely come out so well Vaishali...looks so good

    ReplyDelete
  2. whether your choice of granish was by fluke or well founded research i am not sure..but you wont beliebe that karnataka serves the most awesome khara boondi and they usually use it to garnish poha and upmas..this is amazing looking pot

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nicely done Vaishali ji!!! such a wholesome one pot meal..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard to resist to this beautiful one pot meal, i can have it happily rite now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing dish and looks so tempting ! Nicely presented ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like pradnya said, this dish is actually served wit boondi .. Cute looking bowl there !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lot of Bisi Bele Bhaat today. Your variation looks really good. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of my fav dish from Karnataka. My mom used to make delicious bisi bele bath. You are tempting me so much with the bowl full of goodness...

    ReplyDelete
  9. My all time favorite, it has turned out very delicious and makes me drool...

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love bhoondi with bisi bela bhaath.. it makes a good alternative to potato chips

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow BBB as we call it is my personal fav. Love the topping of boondi there!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love bbb and it is such a crowd pleaser. Love the boondi garnish.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm1 a delicious bowl of bisi bela topped with ghee, sandgi and hapla. Comfort food. Vaishali traditionally no boondi is used but I love it, it fits in my madcap schemes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even I made BBB. I did not use drumsticks thought. I guess this is such a versatile dish we can throw in any vegetables we like and it tastes awesome. I love your bowl of bbb topped with boondhi.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There was a time when I used to hate this dish.I have been in love with this in the recent years though. You have made this so well and I want that bowl right now. Nice garnish and beautiful bowl :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow thats one my fav bisi bele huli anna makes me hungry di :) I want to finish the whole bowl right away :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delicious dish. Though it sounds cliched after going thru all the comments here, this is my the most favorite food on whole earth along with some poori - saagu. Infact, our lunch today was BBB. :) And to just let you know, traditionally onions and drumsticks are not added to it.

    ReplyDelete