Thursday, May 15, 2014

Uppu Seddai - Tamil Nadu Special for ICC



It is perhaps the first time that I am working on a post on the D day.Something that I hate , but somehow I was not sure about this recipe, I read the word tricky , which put me off and some how I was not willing to take a challenge. with some discussion with Valli and PJ, I built up my courage..I am now laughing at myself!!

The Uppu Seddai are cute little rice balls which can be made savory as well as sweet..Though the sweet version is called Vella Seddai.I would have tried the sweet version, but sweets are kind of banned in the house ...as of now.

A little about Uppu Seddai..Well for me this is a totally new dish, unheard of. What I learnt from Valli is that this is made for a Krishna Jayanthi Festival in Tamil Nadu. I made a very very small batch as everyone is off fried stuff, but yet I did not want to miss the challenge , so here I am with these little munchies which surely would please everyone.

it is always better to make your own rice flour, but I used ready flour, and roasted it for a few minutes.

1 cup rice flour
1 tbsp urad dal
Salt to taste
2 tsp butter
1 tsp sesame seeds
1/2 cup channa dal
2 tsp grated coconut
Mix in all ingredients and use just enough water bind the dough.
Pinch out marble sized balls and roll them lightly.
Leave them to dry for about 30 minutes.
Deep fry till golden.







These are some of the points that are a must to get the perfect muchies..I have just copied and pasted these!


Points to remember

Measure the rice flour after roasting. When you draw a line with the roasted rice flour, you should be able to make a straight line.

Drying the balls for at least 20 mins, makes sure your seedais don't break.

Soak the Chana dal in water for 30 mins, Drain and add to the flour when you are making.

Dry roast the rice flour till it turns colour. Keep it aside.

Dry roast the urad dal till it turns colour. Cool and powder to fine. Sieve to make sure you have fine powder.

Dry roast the sesame seeds, toss it around and keep it aside.

The way to do for crushing is, once the seeds are cooled down, simply crumble them in your hand, so that it crumbles down.




Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Ah for a last moment post, your seedais have come out quite well..Seedais are tricky most times, until you get the right pointers!...you surely have done a great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favourite, i love to munch these crispy fried balls whenever i make them at home.

    ReplyDelete