Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Nepali Daal Bhat Tarkari



BM # 44
International ABC Cooking
Cooking with Alphabets : N
Meal Type : National Dish (Meal)



Nepal
Country
Nepal, officially the Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal, is a landlocked sovereign nation located in South Asia.


On Day 14 th day of this marathon we have to cook with the alphabet N . My first choice for this alphabet was Nigeria, my dish was finalized but I changed due to my change in theme. I wanted to cook a National Dish and so landed up cooking Daal Bhat Tarkari.


Dal Bhat is the quintessential Nepali dish and a staple in the rice-cultivating regions.

Dal Bhat  is traditionally served with vegetable tarkari (a mix of seasonal vegetables) and also known as Dal bhat tarkari. Along with this they also have yoghurt or a curry made of chicken, goat meat or fish and a small portion of chutney or pickle (achar). The Dal is cooked with tomatoes, onion, chili, garlic and ginger in addition to lentils or beans. It also contains herbs and spices such as coriander, garam masala, cumin seeds and turmeric. The recipe of Dal bhat can vary from locality,and family.

Our main chef at the hotel is a Nepali and whenever I ask him ..what do you eat in Nepal..he has just one answer Daal Bhat Tarkari. I have seen him cooking and after reading recipes on many Nepali blogs I realized that my chefs cooking has traits of Nepali Cuisine.

Dal bhat (lentils and rice), is an inexpensive and tasty meal to eat. If you order dal bhat at a lodge or tea house, any extra dal or bhat you need to satisfy your appetite is usually free. Dal bhat is the safest thing to eat, because that’s what the locals eat.It is the most common and classic Nepali dish and is also the staple daily diet of the majority of the population living in Nepal.

The complete meal was as good as an Indian meal, but I have to admit that my house boy , who is a Nepali was all smiles and was very happy to get this meal. He was my critic and I am so glad because he is actually very fussy with his food. He kept telling me make more achaar and declared the food authentic. My day was made.



Daal
1 cup whole moong or any lentil that you like
1 tb sp ghee
1 tsp cumin seeds
8-10 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2  tomatoes, chopped
2 green chillies , finely chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp ginger, chopped
Salt to taste 
Coriander leaves
Wash and soak the lentils for 3-4 hours.
Boil them with salt.
In another pan heat ghee.
Add cumin seeds, garlic and onion.
Cook till onions turn pink.
Add green chillies and tomatoes, cook till soft and mushy.
Add turmeric and salt and the boiled lentils.
Cook till the lentils blend well with the gravy.
Sprinkle coriander and serve with Bhat.









Pin It

14 comments:

  1. As you mentioned, that can be as good as any Indian meal. The dal sounds yummy with simple flavors and all the dishes are appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering here, soo comforting foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely platter! Love the dishes and the vibrant colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If a Nepali enjoyed the meal, then you did an awesome job with that thali. You cooked an authentic meal. :) Yummy looking thali.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a perfect homely meal I am craving for right now...looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow a nepali thali just looks so tempting :) I had done dal bhat for national dish theme and this thali with all those tarkari is tempting me :) Tomato pickle is just lips smacking !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I didn't even get like this colorful thali when I visited Nepal. Feel like pic that thali right from there
    so beautifully presented

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vaishali, I was enjoyed the pictures so much when I was checking on them..that pick cloth has got the dish highlighted so much..enjoyed reading about your behind the scenes..it feels wonderful getting it approved by the local!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Vaishali both our thalis look so much similar. There was some kind of telepathy going on between us :-)
    Your looks looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. very nice spread.. daal bhath is almost similar to our dal chawal or rice-sambhar.. interesting how cuisines have evolved in india and neighbouring countries.. :-))

    ReplyDelete
  11. whole platter looks awesome. I work out of a kitchen sometimes at a hotel here in NYC and there is a lot of Nepali staff and I am always talking to them about their cuisine - yours came out looking so good and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like our indian thali! A simple meal is always a satisfying one for all the senses!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was the meal I wanted to make but made something else .Enjoyed reading your post and lovely clicks to and an awesome meal on the whole...

    ReplyDelete