Friday, September 5, 2014

Turshi / Torshi - A Pickle from Middle East


Torshi comes from the word Torsh which means sour in Iranian languages.This is a common pickle in Middle East and the Egyptians call it Turshi. It can be made with onions, carrots, cucumbers, beet and other ingredients .Turnip is of course their favorite. Made with simple ingredients this accompaniment is a must at every Egyptian meal. 



I served this with Egyptian Breakfast ,where I served Ful Me dames and Ta'amia.



The best known way to have it is with falafel, in a pita with Tahini. The pickle has the ability to cut down the greasiness of the falafel.These pickles can be fermented either with salt or salt and vinegar both. I used both.



Turshi


1red beet, peeled and sliced
1 cucumber
1 carrot
1 clove garlic, sliced
1 cup water
1 cup vinegar
Salt to taste
Peel and chop the veggies in the desired shapes.
Slice the garlic.
Add salt and vinegar to the boiling water.
Pour this water over the veggies in a jar and place in a warm place for three days.
I did not mix the beet root with the other veggies as it would have bleeded. I wanted the colors to show up. You could mix the veggies or make individual jars.
Recipe Source: Here






Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I would not mind eating this pickle for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very crunchy pickle, even chinese do this kind of pickle, love that sourness..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting version to try Vaishali..

    ReplyDelete
  4. slurp...my husband would love this pickle....he loves all fresh vieggies

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to try this pickle ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pickle looks very nice. I would love to make this...

    ReplyDelete