Sunday, October 19, 2014

Fattoush

BM # 45 Week 3 Day 3

Fattoush is a salad from Middle East. This was on my to do list since long, and when I made these buns I thought of using them in my salad besides serving these with a nice Broccoli soup. I served this salad to my friends who had been asking me to host a salad party for them. Of course there were four more salads,I shall share the recipes soon, till then enjoy this one. Normally feta cheese is used for this salad, but somehow I do not like its flavor so instead I made fresh herbed cottage cheese ,which tasted amazing.
The salad ingredients can vary according to their availability.



Fattoush 
1 tablespoon vegetable oil for frying
bread, torn or cut into pieces
1 cucumber, diced
1/2 yellow capsicum
Few cherry tomatoes
1/2 red onion, diced
3/4 cup chopped parsley/ coriander
3/4 cup chopped fresh mint
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, or to taste
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
ground sumac
crumbled feta cheese / fresh cottage cheese

Heat oil and lightly toast the bun pieces, you could use also use a day old bread or pita bread.
Combine cucumber, tomatoes,capsicum red onion, parsley, mint, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, kosher salt, ground black pepper, and sumac in a bowl.
Gently toss salad with fried bread pieces.
Adjust seasonings to taste.
Finish with crumbled cottage cheese.




Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Yummmy colorful salad..wanna dig into it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice way to use up bread. The colors look lovely and the flavors cottage cheese sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its been a while i made this salad, simply irresistible and love those cheese there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salad looks very colorful and inviting Vaishali..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this salad. I just add inside pita pockets and its very filling. Feta cheese makes a huge difference here..

    ReplyDelete
  6. very interesting use of sumac. I have a pack of it and I can use it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love the salad. Nice way to incorporate buns in the salad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colorful and refreshing salad yumm

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this salad with all of the fresh herbs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the different colors you've used. This would make for such a light, refreshing meal.

    ReplyDelete