Saturday, November 15, 2014

Badaam Halwa / Almond Halwa - Rajasthan Special for ICC


Indian Cooking Challenge is something that I always look forward to. Cooking special and traditional dishes from a particular state is very interesting. This month we have Badaam or Almond Halwa. This is a speciality of Rajasthan.

Halwas are sweet and dense loaded with ghee or butter. We have a variety of Halwas, They could be flour based, fruit or lentil based or even nut based, just like this Almond Halwa.

This halwa reminds me of my friend, who was a Rajasthani. Once while was making this halwa  her mixy conked off. Being neighbors she asked if I could make a paste of the almonds. I agreed and made the paste of nearly a kilo of these almonds. After about an hour I received a bowl of the ready halwa and that is the first time I tasted this. I immediately fell in love with it. Memories of my friend and Badaam Halwa came back. Unfortunately I lost my friend many years ago, but whenever I make this halwa I immediately think of her. God Bless her soul.




Badaam Halwa
1/4 cup almonds
4 tbsp ghee
4 tbsp sugar or to taste
Pinch cardamom powder
Water

Soak the almonds overnight.
Wash and peel, wash again.
Make a fine paste of these, using bare minimum water or milk.
Heat ghee preferably in a non stick pan.
Add the almond paste.
Roast the paste till it turns to a nice pink color.
The almond paste has the tendency to stick so make sure you keep scraping it from the pan, if using a non stick pan it will be a easy job.
Make sure the flame is very slow through out roasting.
This should take about 10 minutes.
Since i did not use a non stick pan, I switched off the gas twice to scrape off the sticky almond.
Once the almonds are a nice pink and lend a aroma, add water gradually bringing it to the correct halwa consistency. 
Add sugar and cardamom powder .
Mix well and simmer till the ghee floats up.


I made the halwa with just 1/4 cups of almond , after eating all those Diwali treats, I knew a small portion would be fine and everyone would have it like a prasad. In fact everyone thought that it was prasad and ate a spoonful without any fuss. It was later I told them that it was Rajasthani Prasad made at Ribbons to Pastas.
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Wow you got a great colour Vaishali...looks so sinful..will be making it again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! I'll make it like prasad...need to use up all those left over Almonds from Diwali gifts!! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color looks awesome..delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your friend and thanks to her, we all got to make and taste this wonderful halwa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy yummy Badam halwa Vaishali. Love your presentation. Thank you for sharing this amazing recipe -- we loved eating it :-)

    ReplyDelete