Labn'eh Cheese from Middle East

BM # 48  Week 2  Day 3

Labneh is a cheese which is very famous in Middle Eastern countries. The first meal, breakfast begins with Labneh. I have already posted the basic version of Labneh, for today it is a Labneh which can be preserved.


When I first read about this Labneh I was simply amazed. I wondered when placed in oil for two weeks what would the taste be? I was very curious, but this needs patience, one gets the right matured cheese taste only after 3-4 days. Since I could not hold my curiosity, I removed one cheese ball after 8 hours. It tasted real good but later I realized that the more you wait, the better the taste.The flavors infuse better.


What you need
Fresh curd 
Olive Oil 
Chilly Flakes 
Basil Leaves 
Garlic 
Salt. 
Line a large sieve with cheesecloth; place it over a deep bowl. 
Place yogurt in sieve. Gather edges of cheesecloth to cover yogurt. 
Place in refrigerator and let drain for 2-3 days. 
Discard liquid. 
Roll yogurt into 3/4" balls. 
Place in a glass jar.
Add garlic cloves, basil leaves, salt, chilly flakes to olive oil.
Add this oil to the glass jar.
Cover; place in refrigerator and let marinate for at least 8 hours and up to 2 weeks. 
Serve the cheese with toast chips, whatever you like. I have enjoyed it with roti also.this cheese is my Day 3 post for week 2.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#48

Labels: , ,