Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Ras wara Bhea / Lotus Stem in Gravy

BM # 49  Week 1  Day 1

A fresh month and a fresh week of marathon starts and for this week my theme is One Vegetable Different Forms. This is the one of the most interesting themes. Somehow Since child hood I have seen this theme in my house. As kids I always wanted Masala Bhindi, whereas my brother wanted chopped ones, so mom always made two forms of Bhindi. Now the same story is repeated in our house. My hubby wants gravy dishes, son wants dry...one wants tomato based the other wants onion based..wonder if this is the story in every house. 

I have chosen Lotus Stem and its forms. Three dishes from one ingredient. All the dishes were made on the same day , it made my work simple, as it is I make two forms of Lotus Stem. The third one is my favorite . I was anyways catering to the choice of two, why not think of my choice too? So for the first day I shall present my hubby's choice , a Sindhi Dish Lotus Stem in Gravy or Ras wara Bheea as we call it in Sindhi.

Lotus Stem is also called Nadru in Kashmir, bhe in Punjab and Sindh. 

One must remember that Lotus Stem is a stem and it grows in ponds, hence it may be full of mud. How to buy lotus stem and how to prepare lotus stem is very important, once you prepare them you can make it in various forms.



Gravy
1 onion, boiled, made into a paste
2-3 boiled tomatoes, puréed
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp poppy seeds
4-5 blanched almonds
1/8tsp turmeric powder 
1/8 tsp red chilly powder 
1-2 tsp coriander powder 
1/4 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste
Heat oil.
Add the onion paste and sauté till pink.
Add the ginger garlic paste, sauté for a minute.
Add the tomato purée.
Make a paste of almonds and poppy seeds.
Add this paste to the puree.
Cook till there is no moisture.
Add dry spices and salt.
Add the boiled lotus stem pieces.
Cook well, making sure you do not break the pieces.
Add water for gravy and simmer and cook till well incorporated.
Garnish with coriander.


Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Such a yummy dish Vaishali! I have tasted lotus stems only in pickles (store bought) and have never cooked with it. Looks very tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess the story is same in everyone's home, to add to the cook's vows. :)
    Seems like a feast to lotus stem lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious way to make curry using lotus stems.
    My sister and I used to have totally different likes growing up. Now my 2 kids, even though they are still so young, are very little and I can I see how difficult it is going to get when they grow up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ary waa we are going to see different forms of Lotus!..guess that story belongs to all families..same used to be the case during my childhood..now I see that happening with my kids..:)..and I checked your stem wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mouth is watering as i read the recipe, looks so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an irresistible Bhey curry .We love lotus stem and I would love to try this curry .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never tried lotus stems. Very nice will try it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My last trial with lotus stem didn't go well. Maybe I need to try one of your three recipes along with instructions on how to prep it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting way to serve the lotus stem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wat a brilliant choice, that too lotus stem, i do cook lotus stem but in South Indian style, this gravy looks vibrant and catchy Vaishali.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This color of the gravy and the pics are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The color of the gravy and pics are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha ha its the same story everywhere. Each one has choices. This is a delicious gravy that I will love to eat anyday.

    ReplyDelete