Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Sai Thoom wara Bhea / Lotus Stem in Fresh Green Garlic

BM # 49  Week 1  Day 2



Day 2 I have one of the most delicious version of Bhe.These are my son's favorites. While he was in college and he took lunch, I would pack a variety of sandwiches for him. I would pack at least four jumbo sandwiches, but he would get only half a piece. The hostel boys craved to eat home food and as soon as a dabba would open they would attack it. Most of the time my son would come back home hungry. After some time he realized that he had to change the contents of his lunch box. He started taking rice varieties and bhe at least twice a week. Rice varieties because till the time the boys could get hold of spoons, he had his share and then would pass the lunch box.Bhe , Gujaratis boys did not touch, so he would relish his lunch box himself. At times I did feel bad for those hostel boys and I would give him four times his share. I guess those were the days...every time I make these bhe, I remember his college days and we laugh over them.


This is a dry version of lotus stem which is sauted with loads of fresh green garlic, green chilly and coriander, along with some dry spices and hence named Sai Thoom wara Bhea. Sai Thoom is green garlic in Sindhi.





1 cup lotus stem, boiled
1/4 cup fresh green garlic
2 green chillies, chopped 
1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves 
1/4 tsp coriander powder 
1/8 tsp turmeric powder 
1/2 tsp dry mango powder 
1/8 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste...remember there is salt in lotus stem and these herbs don't take up much salt.
Heat oil...you have to be a little generous here.
Add the garlic, green chillies.Saute.
Add all the dry spices and the lotus stem along with coriander leaves.
Toss well.
Simmer the flame and cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Serve hot with Chapatis.
This is a dish which is prepared in Sindhi and Punjabi homes.


Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Ah Vaishali, what a lovely story!..I guess that's a story all of us know and gone through..even now it happens with my lunch box, where Amma and MIL packs extra for my friends..heheheh..though I am not sure how this might taste, the dish looks stunning..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a tempting bowl of lotus stem .Lovely ,I think I know what would be your third day post with Bhey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very different recipe Vaishali. Loved your gesture to pack extra for your son's friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I have to say I love your presentation with that cute carved tomato! I am really enjoying all the recipes as I have never tried them and it is interesting to see how many different kinds you could cook the lotus stems!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pictures and presentation. Loved reading the intro.

    ReplyDelete
  6. College days were such fun!! Been there, done al that masti including attacking tiffen boxes and packing extra!!! :)
    Lotus stem subzi looks good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice writeup.. Will start trying these lotus stem recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can smell the flavors from here, very interesting and kinda new dish for me with lotus steam.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh those were the days!!! Loved your intro. Of course I dont enjoy garlic much but will love to taste this veggie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simple, flavorful and delicious dey sauté with lotus stems.

    ReplyDelete