Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Methi na Gota

BM # 59 Week 2 Day 1

For the second week of BM # 50 I have picked Methi recipes. Methi or fenugreek is a winter green which is one of the greens that is my favorite, next to sarso or mustard. Spinach is one green that I am not really fond of , though I eat it mixed with some other veggie . As always Valli put a clause to these methi dishes, three days and three categories. So I begin with Methi Gota which is a very popular snack of Gujarat.

The gotas have a little bit of sugar, which is added to kill the bitterness of the fenugreek. These gotas were my father in laws favorite and we used to make them very often. Times have changed and deep fried food is avoided but still we do make them once in a while.These gotas are a part of the Gujrati Thali that I made. I had cooked for 100 people at the hotel and I still need to post that Thali.

Coming to the recipe.
 Methi na Gota
1 cup besan
1/2 cup methi leaves
3-4 green chillies, finely chopped
1/4 tsp whole coriander seeds
1/4 tsp sugar
Salt to taste
Pinch cooking soda
Sieve the chick pea flour.
Wash and chop the methi leaves.
Add these and rest of the ingredients to the chick pea flour.
Slowly add water to make a semi soft batter, make sure the batter is not very soft.
Heat oil and make balls of this batter and deep fry to a golden.
Serve with either sweet chutney or ketchup.


Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Lovely Methi gotas! I am bookmarking this to make when fresh methi grows for me :) Looking forward to your thali Vaishali!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, delicious, mouthwatering. I love methi . This one next season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I enjoyed this so much..didn't think of adding sugar to mask the bitterness..next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Times have changed. Deep fried foods used to be popular for all special occasions. I am looking forward to your thali.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just cant resist to this damn delicious methi na gota, too good they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely dish. I just love deep fried food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Methi na gota looks delicious.Gosh your thali makes me feel so hungry..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Gujarati snack. Beautiful clicks too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The thali looks so good and so does the methi na goda!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome looking methi gotas. I recently had a Kathiawadi thali at a restaurant and they served some gotas too. Will definitely try these out some time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks yum, having some fresh methi sprouting in the garden, will try this !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious gotas. All fried foods are yummy by default. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. remember these from a Rajdhani restaurant thali ! they look sooo inviitng !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious Mouthwatering Recipe of Methi na Gota, Fresh Fenugreek can have fibers which is best for digestion and this a good gujarati recipes, served with chutney or tea.

    ReplyDelete