Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Eggless Semolina Cake

BM # 51
Week : 2, Day 3
Theme :Baking
Theme of the week: Tea Cakes


Week 2 ,Day 3 and I have a cake which is made of semolina. This lends a wonderful texture to the cake. Some how this cake reminded me of the Basboussa which is a Turkish cake. A cake which tastes like Indian mithai.

The semolina cake is different than Basboussa in terms of taste, this does not taste like a mithai,but like a cake:))

The cake needs fresh home made cream, which is a rare thing in my house. We normally boil milk and it gets over right away. Rarely we have boiled milk in the frig. So for this cake planning was done and boiled milk was refrigerated so we could get cream. You can cut down on the sugar by a few teaspoons if you wish. This is a cake made by my daughter in law. I bet you guys are going to think, what am I upto, well I wanted to collect the best recipes from the family, so....


Sooji Cake
3 cups semolina
11/2 cups sugar
11/2 cups fresh cream
1 tsp baking powder
3 tsp curd
1/2 cup milk
Mix sugar and cream and beat till creamy.
Add milk and curd and mix well.
Add baking powder to semolina and mix well.
Add the dry ingredients to the liquid and mix well.
Pour into a greased , lined baking pan .
Bake at 180 deg C for about 30 minutes.




Pin It

26 comments:

  1. I have baked semolina cakes before and know that the crust and the texture of the cake are droll worthy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never baked a cake with semolina and am seeing many cakes with it during this BM. Nice cake to serve with some tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing semolina in a big way in bakes now. Never tried it though. And nice effort from you to collect and collate the family recipes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a moist and yummy looking semolina cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Family talent is all coming out in this mega marathon... Way to go.. The cake looks yummm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What can i replace fresh cream with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried without cream but you could try using 1 cup butter and 1/2 cup curd. It should work.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had tried basboussa but never tried baking cake with semolina. After all these semolina cake and bread posts I am tempted to try. Your daughter in law did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Semolina cake looks sooo moist and the crumb tempts me to grab a slice and have rite now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,I just tried making this cake.turned out really well.just added pinch of cardamom powder and condensed milk

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cake looks so much like a sponge cake, Vaishali!! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This cake looks so very delicious. It looks like the one you get at Iyengar bakery. Thank you so much. I am making this today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's absolutely delicious .. I love tea cakes and bookmarking to try.. Like Sandhya the other day, u also used very fine sooji right ? And do tell me where did u pick up the black plates ;))

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never tried semolina in baking. Bookmarking it to try. wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never baked a cake with semolina and this looks so good. Lovely texture. Adding again to bookmarks

    ReplyDelete
  16. This cake is so delicious and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely texture vaishali!!! cake looks absolutely droolicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never tried semolina cake. The crust looks so good and I have to try this one...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the crusty semolina cake. I always like crusty cakes and this is just too perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vaishali, love this cake, it looks so moist and wonderful..will be bookmarking for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful crust you got on the cake Vaishali!! This recipe definitely a keeper one..Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks fantastic Vaishali. Need to try it asap. I just love that colour of the cake...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Vaishali,
    I tried this receipe today and it came out very hard:( But I am sure that there was some mistake in my measurement.Would you please tell me what size of cup you are using for liquid as well as for dry ingredients?I saw your conversion page but am not clear.
    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Vaishali this is a beautiful cake. I will try this its a keeper. Tell Sneha I said that.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That looks drool worthy !! The texture is spot on and it's eggless, you are a genius.

    ReplyDelete