Friday, April 10, 2015

Eggless Whole Wheat Lemon Spice Cake

BM # 51
Week : 2 Day:5
Theme : Baking
Theme of the week : Tea Cakes

Day 5 and I have a cake which is a spice cake. The recipe is from my brothers wife, who loves to bake vegan cakes and preferably whole wheat ones. The minute her cake was done and she had a bite she immediately called me to tell that it was a hit.Naturally I asked for the recipe. I did not take long to bake, infact I baked it the very next day, but before baking I was a little hesitant as the cake had black pepper  so I reconfirmed. I did add and trust me the cake was awesome. Everyone loved it and the raisins , walnuts ,they gave it a super flavor. The lemon rind was the highlight of the cake. I simply love this citrusy flavor. Since I was not sure if all would like I made some lemon sauce to serve along. Wow , i just cannot describe the flavor it enhanced, though my hubby liked it as it is. He felt there was actually no need for the sauce, but I guess that is because he is not very fond of citrusy sauces. Anyway I leave it to you , sauce or no sauce! The recipe for the sauce shall follow soon.



Lemon Spice Cake 
11/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 pinches salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp lemon essence
Lemon rind
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 cup curd
Few raisins and walnuts
Mix curd, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
Let rest for 5 minutes till it rises a little.
Gradually add all the other ingredients.
Pour the batter in a greased, lined mould.
Bake at 180 deg C for 35-40 minutes or till done.



Pin It

19 comments:

  1. Ur Citrus bakes r such a rage now .. Love d addition of black pepper ! Thank ur Bhabhi for me .. Bookmarking go try ! We just love lemony stuff back home ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another family recipe... Love this healthy and very flavourful cake.. Yummmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thats an interesting recipe. And my bookmarks list got just longer :-)). I am off cakes for sometime now, but I will keep this one in my mind for sure. Pepper in a cake...I got to try that :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like an amazing fusion of flavors there with cinnamon, lemon and pepper. Loving the bakes you are posting this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful cake vaishali!! Must try this definitely, lemony cake with pepper , i m sure want to taste this cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The word lemon and spice itself is interesting. so obviously the cake will be too

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting recipe and the lemon sauce looks very good, especially in the thirds picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very very interesting and unique recipe here...bookmarked, loved the picstures and presentation

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ultimate cake, lemony cake is very attractive that too with lemon sauce is just torturing me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lemon in cakes brings out the best in both. I have loved your entire series on tea cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a lovely lemon spice cake. Perfect for this time of the year -- light & refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another citrus flavored cake with spices sounds interesting..must be a flavorful cake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This cake must have had such a lovely flavor!Thanks to your Bhabi for sharing this recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! This is a keeper of a recipe. The combination of spices is very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning Vaishali..as I said all your tea cakes have gone to my bookmark folder..this is really making me want to bake it right away!

    ReplyDelete
  16. lemon and pepper is such a lovely combination! I love that lemon sauce and the clicks are just so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haven't tried adding pepper in cakes. But I think it enhances the sweetness in the cake. I am loving all your whole wheat cakes....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lemon n Pepper in a cake? And I thought I came up with crazy ideas. But I am the mad scientist so this one gets done.:D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful cake Vaishali. But pepper in a cake?, Lovely clicks

    ReplyDelete