Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Mango Chutney

BM # 53   Week 3  Day 1

Kids Delight , fruit recipes ! When Valli announced this theme, I took it up . To tell the truth I am not a fruit person, but I love fruit forms. I love fruity chaats, fruity bakes, fruity salads,not to miss the fruity drinks! For the very first day under this theme I shall share the recipe of Mango Chutney. Yes this is the Mango Chutney which I served with Whole Wheat Sesame Crackers.

This is a chutney which can be stored outside for about a week but if you refrigerate it it can last a while.So let's get on to the recipe.



Mango chutney

1 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp methi seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp nigella seeds
Pinch hing
Few whole red chillies, broken into pieces
2 large raw mangoes, peeled and cubed
1/8 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1/4 -1/2 cup sugar or jaggery

Heat oil.
Add the whole seeds, let crackle.
Add asafetida.
Add whole red chillies.
Add chopped peeled mango pieces.
Saute.
Add salt and turmeric powder.
Saute again for another 2-3 minutes.
Add 1/2 cup water, let the mango cook 75%.
Add sugar or jaggery and let cook till one string syrup is formed.
Switch off the gas.
Let cool .
Transfer to sterilized jar.
You could refrigerate the chutney for a longer shelf life.

Note The sugar or jaggery depends on the sourness of the mangoes, the chutney is more on the sweeter side. How ever you can adjust the sweetness according to your personal taste.
The chutney can be left out but I prefer to store it in the refrigerator.


Pin It

21 comments:

  1. Lip smacking chutney. Similar to our mango pachadi, but we add just mustard and red chili. My hubby loves it with roti too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spicy sweet & sour chutney looks delicious. Mouthwatering chutney !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the flavors and spices in the chutney. I am sure my older one will love this. Please do send it to the Kid's Delight event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. subah subah mooh mein paani aa gaya.. we make a similar version without saunf but others are just similar :-) am imagining this with a palak or Aloo paratha.. all wrapped up :) yummmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats very interesting Vaishali, when I thought of kids and dishes, I could only think of sweets and desserts. This chutney sounds so refreshing..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this kind of chutney Vaihali. The mixed tastes tangy sweet and spicy ,a real treat for the tastebuds!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mouthwatering why only kids I can enjoy this with any thing like puri,chapati even with dosa yummm..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love mangoes in all forms...chutney looks stunning...nigella seeds are new to me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite chutney. Wish I could get some now...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mango chutney looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom used to make a variation of this chutney. Lovely flavors, sweet, tangy and spicy all together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chunky chutney makes me drool,lipsmacking here..tooo tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  13. yummy...looks so good...i loved the color you have got for it

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have some over ripe apricots in the fridge - think I am going to try this with those

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have never tasted this vaishali but this looks so delicious. Will prepare this before the mangoes vanish

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmmmmmmm! Can you pack some for me Vaishali.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely tangy mango chutney. I remember eating this in Indian restaurants. It is sort of like the mango pachadi we make in South, but love all the spices that went into this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this spicy sweet relishes -- they are great all purpose spreads. Yours looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mango lovers would relish this...

    ReplyDelete
  20. One of my favorites....so yummy

    ReplyDelete