Olive and Basil Pinwheels

BM # 54   Week 4   Day 1

While hosting my parties I always prefer to make bite sized snacks. The concept of snacking has changed and people no more want to eat big, lare sized snacks. If making samosas, I no longer make the real Punjabi samosas, I like to make the mini version. Come to think of it I have always seen the Gujarati's serve small and bite sized portions. I used to laugh because I had always seen big portions of food and big sizes in North., I felt how can a person make such small tit bits ! Well I no longer laugh , but find people very wise when I see them serving bite sized snacks or small mini sized desserts. Yes for this week my theme is Bite Sized Appetizers.For today I have these pinwheels, which can be pre prepared and sliced just before serving. 

Pinwheels is a very light appetizer and I have always been fond of them. They are truly versatile. Check out some other variations that I have tried.

Pizza Pinwheels

Olive and Capsicum Pinwheels

Strawberry and Grape Pinwheels


Olive and Basil Pinwheels

Olive and Basil butter
1 cup butter
2 tbsp finely chopped black olives
1 tbsp finely chopped piri piri
2 tbsp leaves from basil oil.
Mix everything very well and keep aside.
You could use fresh basil leaves if you do not have the oiled ones.

6 slices of jumbo bread with crust removed.

To make the pinwheels
Roll the bread slices with a rolling pin , till they are evenly flat.
Apply a layer of the prepared butter.
Place one buttered bread slice, overlapping the first slice, place the second slice and similarly the third one.
You have one long strip of bread.
Start rolling this strip. Roll tightly .
Wrap in a cling film and seal the ends by twisting on either side.
Make sure there is no air and the roll is tight.
Place it in the frig for 10-15 minutes.
Remove and cut into slices.



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#54

Labels: ,