Crostata


A crostata is a "rustic free-form version of an open tart" which may also be baked in a pie plate. Traditionally a crostata consists of a pie dough , and a generous filling. It can be either sweet or savory. .

Sweet variations use fruit preserves as a filling, typically apricot, cherry, peach or nectarine, or berries. The crostata can also be blind-baked and then filled with pastry cream, topped with pieces of fresh fruit. A modern version of crostata may have Nutella as the filling. 

While researching on savory versions, I saw meat as filling, though for vegan versions, mushrooms, eggplants and veggies have been used. I loved the rustic look of this Italian pie, but I did not use the pie dough.instead I used pizza dough to make this crostata. The taste naturally would change, but I wanted a lighter dough as the base, something that I could enjoy all by myself. I had read about pizza being served for breakfast in Italy, so perhaps we could think this is a cross between a crostata and pizza . 
To make this into a complete Italian Breakfast I serve Lemon Granita and Vanilla Pannacotta for The BM Buffet.


Let's see how I made it

Crostata 
Serves :1

Ingredients
Pizza dough

Assorted veggies, I used onions, tomatoes, capsicum, olives, baby corn.
Cheese

Method
Roll the pizza ball either with a rolling pin or hand toss it.
Brush with a layer of olive oil and place all the veggies in the center leaving about 2-3" border.
Fold this extra dough inwards , forming a pie. 
Place it on a baking tray, place some cheese pieces on the veggies, and brush the edges with olive oil.
Sprinkle some home made flavored garlic salt.
Preheat your oven .
Bake at 200 deg C for 15 minutes or till nice and golden.
Ideally one should wait for a few minutes for the crostata to cool and then cut into slices, I was quite impatient and preferred to tear and eat , yes the rustic way ! 


Labels: , , ,