Friday, September 18, 2015

Egyptian Dukkah


BM # 56
Week : 3 , Day: 5
Theme: Condiments
Country : Egypt

We are working under the theme condiments this week and for today I have a Egyptian Condiment , called Dukkah ! 


The word 'dukkah' means "to crush" or "to pound" in its native Egyptian. Pronounced do'a, it's an apt description for the spice blend. The ingredients are interchangeable, but pounding is the key, as the finished product is always a dry mixture - so when flatbread is dunked in olive oil, and then dipped into the dukkah, the dry spices stick, and create a piquant crust.


The actual composition of the spice mix can vary from family to family, vendor to vendor though there are common ingredients, such as sesame, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper. While on my search for this condiment I came across many recipes , the variations included almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds. My recipe is a blend of the numerous recipes that I read.Some of the recipes had only Hazel nuts, but I loved the pistachio green in some of the pics and decided to use both nuts. I have to admit this is a very very aromatic and delicious condiment.



Dukka 

Ingredients
2/3 cups hazelnuts and pistachios 
1/2 cup sesame seeds
2 tbsp coriander seeds
2 tbsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp sea salt

Method
Spread the nuts over a baking tray and toast in a preheated oven till toasted
Place them in a food processor and process until coarsely chopped.
Transfer to a bowl.
Roast the sesame seeds till lightly toasted, stirring every now and then.
Add to the bowl of hazelnuts
Roast cumin seeds and coriander seeds till lightly roasted.
Transfer seeds to a mortar and pestle.
Pound them well or else transfer to a spice blender and blend.
Add the blended spices to the hazelnut mix.
Add salt and pepper and mix well.
Store in a airtight jar.


Besides dipping the bread in olive oil and Dukka, this can also be used to enhance the Lab'neh. So I made some Labneh with Dukka, which of course was really delicious.




Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Looks like a nice condiment /spice mix t to have in the pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious condiment... love your oil jar... have been looking to buy one similar...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this many times and think that includes cheese. fantastic only nuts thanks for the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dukkah looks so flavorful.I am in love with your setups.Please tell me how did you get the photo size so big in the first pic ? What setting you are using for that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Dukkah sounds absolutely nutty and flavourful..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful post Vaishali..must add so much flavour to the meal right..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a nice condiment Vaishali.Glad i knew this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG.. great share. You know what I need to bookmark all your recipes. very flavorful

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm very new one to me. Shall have to explore the taste for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yumm this looks so tempting...loved the hazelnut flavor, will make soon

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a flavorful and delicious condiment Vaishali.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is on my to do list. I choose to go with berbere over this but this version is tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmm Looks yum Vaishali I wish I had maintained my MIL's mortar and pestle. From the time you have started with the salts I am ruing for letting it down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved them when i made for last BM, i still use to flavor soups and dry saute's. Awesome spice mix!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. with the labne it looks so good - so many new condiments I got introduced to via this bm, especially from the Middle East

    ReplyDelete