Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Flavored Sugars


























BM # 56
Week : 3 , Day: 2
Theme: Condiments
Country : European Countries



For the second day under condiments I have yet another condiment which is very very essential in our lives, yes Sugar! You go to any coffee house and the tray is full of different varieties of sugar, teas and coffees. The most common among these are the Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Sugar. These sugars are packed in small sachets and are just enough for a coffee. I remember Nandini giving me a pack of vanilla sugar that she made and then Kamallika added Cinnamon Sugar to our goody bag of BM # 50. My son is an ardent fan of cinnamon, unlike me , so he finished that jar in his coffee. 



Tinting and flavoring the sugars gives the drinks, salads or bakes a complete new level.Coming to the flavors I made..well I made three different flavors.



The first one was rose.Rose is a flavor which is my favorite . Every summers I make sure that I use fresh rose petals to make Jannate Gulab, which is such a soothing drink. I always have dried rose petals in my pantry and use them lavishly for my kheers and Halwas.



Anyway coming to Rose sugar. I tried with a very small batch, just about half a cup of sugar. The sugar looked pretty and flavorful. The jar was in my pantry and I wanted to show off to my son, so as soon as he walked in I showed it to him...and he wanted to use it right away. He made a glass of lemon juice using this sugar. Trust me it was one of the most refreshing drinks , besides being pretty. The tiny rose petals floated up and the drink had a heavenly aroma. The small batch got over that day itself and I was a happy person. Now I wanted to try other flavors too .


..okay let's start with the Rose Sugar first.

Rose Sugar

Ingredients
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup dried rose petals
1/4 tsp rose flavoring
Just a drop of red food color

Method
Grind the rose petals with a tsp of granulated sugar.
Remove in a zip lock bag.
Add the rest of the sugar and flavoring and color to the ziplock.
Shake the zip lock vigorously till well blended.
You could also place everything in a bowl and mix very well so that everything gets blended.
Let the sugar be in the bowl for a while so that whatever moisture is there from the liquid flavoring dries up.
Store in a airtight jar.




Lemon Sugar
This is a sugar which is best used in cookies, iced teas, salads. 

What all we need
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp dehydrated lemon zest
1/4 tsp lemon flavoring 
Just a drop of lemon yellow food flavoring

Method
Put all ingredients in a ziplock or a bowl, mix well.
Let stand for an hour.
Store in an airtight container.


Brown Sugar
Brown sugar is a sucrose sugar product with a distinctive brown color due to the presence of molasses. It is either an unrefined or partially refined soft sugar consisting of sugar crystals with some molasses content, or it is produced by the addition of molasses to refined white sugar. Well that is what I have done, I have made molasses syrup and added it to the regular refined sugar. Let's check how.

Ingredients
1 cup white refined sugar
2 tbsp molasses
1 tbsp water

Method
Combine water and molasses and place on very slow fire.
Let the molasses melt and as soon as it boils and forms a syrup consistency immediately remove from fire.
Keep stirring to get it at room temperature.
Using a fork mix with the sugar.
Let the moisture dry.
Store in a airtight jar.


This is the way I made the Brown Sugar, while making this I was very dicey . I was worried about the shelf life , but even after 15 days the sugar was good and it could be used in any bakes or coffee. I purposely did not use this brown sugar for a fortnight to check if it could stay well, which it did.


In fact the sugars should be used only after a day or two, for the flavors to infuse.








Here is a drink that I made with the Rose Sugar.

Rose Lemonade

Ingredients
2 tbsp Rose Sugar
Juice of one lemon
One mango, cut into cubes
Carbonated water 

Method
Mix sugar and lemon juice, till sugar dissolves.
Add a few mango pieces and crush lightly with a meddler.
Add ice cubes.
Top with carbonated water and enjoy a refreshing drink.









Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 56


Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Flavored sugar looks so beautiful ,especially the rose sugar.Very beautiful clicks .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have guessed what was next in this series from you end. Love all the flavors & I will go with rose & lemon flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kya kya kartein hain aap !! hats off :-)) now I dont know what else to expect tomo !! I loved the rose version the best !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I like tose rose and lemon sygars now I am going to make them and store what a fantastic idea...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so amazing and great for kids parties and candy decoration. Nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish u send me some rose sugar, simply fabulous Vaishali, you gave us different ideas to make flavoured sugars at home..love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo..Lemon flavored sugar for me please!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my Vaishali, you got us floored!..that's such an excellent choice...I like all three pls..won't mind a packet for myself..lol..:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a different idea for condiments..Love all those flavored Sugar.Bookmarked it ..how many to bookmark?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love th color and flavor both makes me excited.. to try once at home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely flavor combinations for sugar. Love the colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. all 3 flavors are beautiful and look amazing...i have not gone beyond vanilla and cinnamon sugar, so this is refreshing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Usually I make cinnamon & vanilla sugars at home. The rose petal one sounds interesting and didn't know we could make brown sugar at home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Vaishali I promise never to doubt your judgement. Absolutely love these sugars.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a packet of rose petals which i got from Global village market, i m definitely trying this,Love that beautiful color that lemon sugar has got.Stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the gorgeous colors and the rose lemonade must be delicious

    ReplyDelete