Thursday, September 17, 2015

Green Harissa from Africa


BM # 56
Week : 3 , Day: 4
Theme: Condiments
Country : Africa

Day 4 with Buffet on the Table we have a delicious, finger licking condiment, Harissa from Africa.

Harissa is a very popular dish in Algeria, Libya and Tunisia. It is a condiment made from crushed hot peppers, garlic, olive oil, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and salt. It is used to add hot flavor to sandwiches, couscous and pasta. Tunisian harissa is much hotter than Harissa from other Arab countries.

We normally come across the Red Harissa . The red Harissa is much more popular than the green one, I wanted to try the green one for two reasons, one I am off red chilly, two I could not get the red chillies required for this Harissa . So conveniently I decided on the green one, and trust me I am so glad I did, because I loved it. Not only I but the whole family fell in love with this condiment. After I finished making it was dinner time, I could not click at that point so quietly put it away. On the dinner table my son asked for some kind of chutney, since I did not have any Indian chutney , I offered him the Harissa. I loved the look he gave me, he knew I had not clicked and was trying to hide it. I felt it was a simple condiment which I could re do, but these guys did leave 3/4 bottle for me to click!


I am not surprised as Harissa is used as an everyday condiment in Morocco and North African. It is added to dishes from breads to eggs to grilled meats. This green Harissa is made to be less pasty than most Moroccan Harrisa , perfect for drizzling onto any dish or using as a dip. It has a heat from chilies, and a delightful fragrance of Moroccan cumin. They say that red and green Harissa can be used interchangeably, depending on personal preference , soon I would love to try the Red one too. I served this Harissa with Vegetable Kebabs and it sure was a treat.


African Green Harissa
Makes : 11/3 cups
Recipe Source : A mix of a few recipes



 Ingredients
2 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp black peppercorns
1 tsp ground cinnamon
10 long green chillies, stalk removed
10 cloves garlic
1 bunch coriander leaves, stems included
1/4 cup mint leaves
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup olive oil

Method
Toast the cumin, coriander and peppercorns in a frying pan over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
Process until finely ground.
Add the cinnamon, chillies, garlic, fresh coriander, mint and salt.
Process for 5 seconds , so it's coarsely done.
With the motor running add oil in thin streams and continue to process until smooth.

I served the Harissa with Vegetable Kebabs. These kebabs were similar to the Hara Bhara Kebabs, just that I did not add spinach to these and shaped them differently.









Pin It

17 comments:

  1. Green harissa is tempting and very sweet of your family to leave 3/4 of the bottle for the clicks. In my house, I will be happy if 1/4 is felt for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow love that green harissa those vege kababs are tempting me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green harrisa looks so tempting.I am eyeing those kebab sticks , so delicious .Your setups looks so artistic .Looking forward for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome awesome recipe :) v v new to me !! And those kebabs are mind blowing !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely choice from Africa, havent tried my hands making harissa at home, green harissa sounds like a prefect choice to give a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahah..nice reading about your family's reaction to this delicious sauce!..trust me when I did my red wala sause, I never bothered to check of the chilies are available or not..trust you to be so diligent!..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the flavor of this sauce.. nice choice

    ReplyDelete
  8. African sauce..very new to this cuisine..Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your presentation. Those Kababs are tempting. Would love to have those with the harissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Harissa sauce is also famous this week it seems. Great

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice sauce is so flavorful and has a nice colour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful color for the green harissa and nice option to go with kababs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, green harissa looks so vibrant & delicious. It must have tasted amazing with those kebabs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like my husband's kind of sauce. :) Such a fiery one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am coming back to this one. Drooling here especially for the kababs that you have in the background they will taste yum with this harissa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that vibrant green and it must have paired so well with those kebabs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have intrigued me so much now I am itching to try the green version

    ReplyDelete