Saturday, September 26, 2015

Khaman Dhokla


Khaman Dhokla has been a favorite with me since I was a little kid. I remember a small farsaan shop of a Gujju vendor who used to prepare some Gujrati snacks. He used to make them at home and bring them at his shop, very small shop but his preparation was very hygienic and had authentic taste. Mom too loved these, so whenever we would pass we would always pick some. Years later I got married and came to Gujarat, the real place to enjoy the Khaman.

It was here that I learnt the different varieties of Dhoklas, and the difference between Khaman and Dhokla. Khaman is prepared from the gram flour . It is soft and spongy and very light, with a hint of sweetness. Dhoklas look similar but are not as spongy, soft yes, but they lack the moisture of Khaman. Dhoklas could be made from a variety of lentils along with a small portion of rice. 



Our family is very fond of both Dhoklas and Khaman and I have different versions. Here are a few.



The last time I made khaman , I made Sev Khamani out of it, which is yet another specialty of Gujarat. I could not post the Khaman then, so here is one of the most popular Gujarati snack Khaman. The Khaman is a part of the Indian Breakfast for Buffet on table.

Khaman is genrally served with a sweet kadhi and fried green chillies.

For Khaman  recipe click here.



Pin It

11 comments:

  1. I love khaman dhokla.Looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum yum yummy!!! love dhokla and it is one of the first gujju dish i know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Khaman Dhokla and it is one of the dishes that made me a fan of gujju fare...lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. our family favorite too...the bowl looks inviting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love khaman dhokla..All time favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Khaman Dhokla sounds great. Yet to try these different dhoklas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yet to have any dhokla lovers at home.. although I have bookmarked almost all ur dhokla recipes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soft and fluffy dhoklas look sooo yummy!!

    ReplyDelete

  9. it is my first time visit here, now Dhokla dish famous everywhere. thankyou for shearing this information with us!chowringhee satyaniketan

    ReplyDelete