Friday, September 25, 2015

Lemon Granita


Granita is a semi-frozen dessert made from sugar, water and various flavorings. Originally from Sicily, it is available all over Italy in somewhat different forms. It is related to sorbet and Italian ice; however, in most of Sicily, it has a coarser, more crystalline texture. 

The minute I read that Granita is served for breakfast, I was so excited, I have always loved ice in any form. From the Delhi chuskis to the imli kulfis to sorbets, I love them all. I shortlisted a lemon Granita, I used fresh lemon juice, sugar and water, just the same as we make our Indian Nimbu paani or lemonade. I added some lemon zest and a drop of yellow food color. Of course the color is not really needed but I wanted it to look bright as well. 

I really don't think there is any recipe for it, as it all depends how tart the lemons are ! You would have to adjust the water and sugar accordingly.all the same here is the proportion that I used.


Lemon Granita

Ingredients
250 ml water
250 ml lemon juice
125 gms sugar
1/4 tsp lemon zest

Method
Boil the water.
Remove from fire and add sugar.
Stir a couple of times for the sugar to dissolve.
Let it come to room temperature.
Add lemon juice, lemon zest and food color if using it.
Give it a good stir and pour it in a steel container.
Place in the freezer for 30-45 minutes, or till you see ice crystals.
Remove and from freezer and break the ice crystals with the help of a fork.
Re freeze for another 30-45 minutes.
Remove and scrape the ice with a fork.
At this stage you will observe a good texture of ice, but we need to freeze once more.
Re freeze for another 30-45 minutes.
Scrape with a fork and serve with mint leaves.

I served this as a part of the Italian breakfast of Buffet on Table.


Pin It

9 comments:

  1. I made once with watermelon and enjoyed it so much..lemon must have tasted so delicate and flavoursome!..good one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your intro brought back childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love granita... The clicks are super vibrant

    ReplyDelete
  4. Granitas are perfect. love it anytime

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the color of granita, Would love to have some now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. super refreshing anytime of the year.. yet to try all these frozen treats.. waiting for little one to grow up :-))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a refreshing lemon ice, great to serve for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I commented here anyway this is a delicious granita. Love the colour that it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I make it regularly in summer for my little one.

    ReplyDelete