Potato Kurma from Tamil Nadu


BM # 57
Week :1 , Day: 2
Theme: Curries and Side Dishes
Tamil Spread

Among the Thali's I served for Buffet on the Table, Tamil Spread had maximum dishes and they fit so well with our theme of curries and side dishes this month. So here is a Potato Kurma ! I could call this an award winning recipe as everyone loved it.

Kurma or Korma is a vegetable curry which can be either curd based or tomato based. I had only heard on Navratan Korma ,and the Vegetable Qorma that I made for the alphabet "Q" while we did Cooking with Alphabets. When I had to make my Tamil Spread Valli suggested a Yam Kurma. I am not a yam person, in fact no one really cares for it so wanted to play safe. Potatoes are always the safest, so I decided on Potato Kurma, and I am glad I did . This is on our daily menu now.


Potato Kurma
Serves  2
Recipe Source : Cooking for all Seasons

Ingredients
2 onions, small, finely chopped
2 tomatoes, medium, finely chopped
2 cloves
1" piece cinnamon
1 green cardamon
3/4 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 medium potatoes, peeled , cut into slightly bigger cubes
1 tbsp coconut paste
1/2 tsp fennel seed powder
1 tsp red chilly powder
1 tsp coriander powder
Pinch turmeric
1-2 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste

Method
Heat oil.
Add whole spices.
Add onion, saute till pink.
Add ginger garlic paste, saute.
Add tomatoes, let cook till mushy.
Add coconut paste, fennel powder and the rest of dry spices.
Add potatoes.
Mix well.
Add 1 cup water and pressure cook for 2 whistles, simmer for 4-5 minutes.
Let the pressure release, check if potatoes are done, serve hot.




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#57

Labels: , ,