Punjabi Kadi Pakoda



 BM # 60
Week : 1 , Day: 3
Theme: Regional Cuisine 
Region : Punjab


We begin with a new edition of our regular marathons, and this is my first post for the 2016.Let me start by wishing you all A Very Happy New Year!

 I could not blog for a couple of months due to so many reasons. Shifting into a new apartment and settling is rather cumbersome. I had not even settled and I had a fall...and broke my wrist. Well, even now when I decided to participate, I have pulled out all the posts from my drafts. I am unable to hold my camera. Thankfully I do have a rich draft section where I can survive for awhile, not missing my blog friends.


For this first post I have made a typical Punjabi Kadhi. Kadhi Pakora is very popular in Punjabi homes and I have picked this recipe from our neighbors in Delhi. This is one of our favorite Kadhis and it tastes delicious with or without pakoras. Of course, I prefer with pakoras, but for those calorie conscious ones, minus the pakoras, you will still love it. I shall be cooking Punjabi dishes for this week under Regional Theme.



Punjabi Kadhi Pakora

Ingredients
1/4 cup chick pea flour

1 cup yogurt
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp red chilly powder
1/2 tsp ginger, finely chopped
1 green chilly finely chopped
1/4 tsp garam masala
Coriander leaves

Tempering 1
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/8 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 clove
1 small piece cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1 dry red chilly, broken into pieces
Pinch asafoetida

Pakoras
1 large onion, sliced
Salt to taste
1 green chilly, finely chopped
2 tbsp coriander leaves
Few mint leaves
1/4 tsp coriander seeds
1/4 cup chick pea flour ( you might require a tsp more or less, check notes)
Pinch cooking soda
Mix everything, and add bare minimum water to make pakoras or fritters.
Heat oil to smoking point for deep frying the pakoras.
Make lemon sized balls and dip them into oil, fry till nice and golden.
Keep aside.

Tempering 2
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp red chilly powder

Method
Blend curd and chickpea flour to a smooth paste.
Add about 11/2 cups water and blend again.
Heat oil.
Temper the Kadhi with tempering 1 ingredients.
Add ginger, green chilly, red chilly powder, salt.
Cook the kadhi on full flame till it boils.
Simmer the gas and let cook for 15-20 minutes.
In the meantime make pakoras, keep them aside.
Once the kadhi has cooked, add pakoras and temper the kadhi with Tempering 2.
After tempering cover immediately so the tempering flavors are captured.
Serve hot with steamed rice.



Notes
For the kadhi normally sour curd is used, but I always use fresh curd, this not give acidity. However you could use according to your taste.
While the kadhi is being cooked, you could reduce or increase the quantity of water to get your choice of consistency.
You must remember that after adding the pakoras , the kadhi becomes thick, as the pakoras absorb the kadhi.
While making pakoras, add water drop by drop, just enough for you to get a thick batter which clings to the onions. These are like the Maharashtrian onion bhajias.
At times we do not realize that onions and salt both ooze out water, in that case you might need to add more chick pea flour.



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#60

Labels: , ,