Friday, April 8, 2016

G - Gheehar / Holi Jalebi


BM # 63
Day : 7
Theme: Regional Cuisine 
Cuisine : Sindhi

Holi is the festival of colors and is celebrated with lot of enthusiasm. As a kid I always went to my maternal uncle's house to celebrate this festival. I remember filling balloons with color at midnight and waking up early morning to fill water in those balloons. We would fill buckets with these colored balloons. Our cousins team was very strong and all our work was divided.We would  be on the terrace to throw these balloons on the people passing by. If it would hit someone we would jump and laugh ! Oh can't even imagine our children doing such mischief.

Throwing balloons, getting soaked in colored water and not missing the red , yellow and green gulal smeared all over was just one part of the holi festival. The second best part of the festival were the boxes of Gheehar which went around. Gheehar is the big fat Sindhi jalebi!

Available only during holi, these Gheehar's are still a favorite. I remember dad getting boxes of these from his friend's shop who is a famous Sindhi sweet confectioner, called China Ram .These boxes were sent to neighbors, family and friends.I would be greedy and always asked for an extra box for home.

The Gheehar is same as jalebi, but much larger in size, a little more crunchier too. Perhaps it is the festival spirit that makes these Gheehar's so delicious. It's rather strange that even though people really like them , you can get them only around Holi time.

The different states offer different traditional food for this festival and I have a post on it , where I have some savory as well as some sweets too.

This is my post for Day 7 for BM as well as A-Z Challenge.


Gheehar

Ingredients
250 gms APF
2 tbsp ghee
1 cup sour curd
Few drops saffron color

For syrup
500 gms sugar
1 cup water
Few drops rose essence

Garnishing
Rose petals
Pistachios

Method
Batter
Warm the ghee on low heat.
Mix in the curd and flour.
Adding water spoon by spoon, make a thick batter.
Mix in the food color.
Let stand for 15 minutes.

For the syrup
Place sugar and 1 cup water to boil.
Boil till sugar is completely dissolved and reaches one thread consistency.
Remove from heat.
Add rose essence.

Making the jalebi
Heat ghee in a flat pan.
Pour batter in a piping bag.
Reduce the flame of the gas to medium.
Pipe out spirals, overlapping each other
Fry till crisp, but not brown.
Remove and immerse into the sugar syrup.
Remove and transfer to the serving plate.
Garnish with rose petals and pistachios.
One can decorate the gheehars with a silver leaf too.



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63


Pin It

20 comments:

  1. Oh god, how beautiful this jalebi looks, wonderful and prefect jalebis, irresistible sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vaishali those Jalebi's are mouthwatering. So many lovely dishes from you. Love your little story as always. I couldn't imagine kids doing such mischief especially on us. Haha:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently got introduced to this recipe, and I thought it was too much effort. You make it sound so easy to make. I have pinned it instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read a word in your post, just scrolling up and down to keep looking at these beauties. I love how you present food, especially Indian desserts. The rose petals and the dry fruits add a personal touch to the picture and so much beauty to the dish. Kudos Vaishali!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lot like jalebi, a little like Ghevar too.. Very interesting to learn about this new sweet Vaishali ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a nice big jalebi. Love the way you have presented it. So colourful perfect for holi...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vaishali, I am truly drooling now and ruining my laptop. What a delicious jalebi this is. I have never gathered enough braveness to make jalebi yet, though my family keeps begging me to. I am going to buckle up and try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was a kid and even until my collage days, I loved playing holi. But now ,I can't imagine myself with all that color on my face. Gheehar looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Vaishali that's one tempting jalebi...and if one make it for 15 mins, then its awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg I am drooling over those jalebis.They look almost like ghevar.You have made them so perfectly.Love the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. delicious jalebi. Never tried them by myself.. should step up and try it out. Wow.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW, what a yummy yummy holi treat Vaishali. Geehar looks and sounds drool worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought it was ghevar on first glance. This recipe has taken the already decadent Jalebi to another level. Just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The amazing look of these delicious ghevar is mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If one can make it in 15 minutes I can finish in 5 seconds hee hee.. I like those crunchy texture sweets very tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  16. definitely looks like a festive treat - definitely takes the plain jalebi over the top

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautifully presented Vaishali. Wish I could taste these...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow a good festival treat. Nice pick for G

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was thinking ghevar, oh this looks scrumptious vaishali! I love the way you have presented soo yummy! !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks so delicious and loved the presentation. How do you manage to dish out so many exotic stuff

    ReplyDelete