Friday, April 22, 2016

S - Sayun ji Kheerni / Vermicelli Pudding


BM # 63
Day : 19
Theme: Regional Cuisine 
Cuisine : Sindhi

Today we are at the alphabet 'S' and I have Sayun ji Kheerni. This Kheer was introduced to me on my first Diwali after marriage. 

We had a standard Diwali dinner menu. Aloo Poori, with Sayun ji Kheerni. I have always liked elaborate meals on festivals, so this came as a shock to me. I was quiet but made sure that the following year we had a nice elaborate meal. Whatever the menu might be it was traditional to make this Kheer. This is one ritual followed in most Sindhi homes.

The Kheer is simple, made from thin vermicelli. The vermicelli is roasted in little ghee and then milk is added. We normally serve the kheer piping hot, though I prefer it chilled.

I am also linking this post to the A-Z Challenge.



Sayun ji Kheerni

Ingredients
1/2 cup Sayun / thin vermicelli
1/2 tsp ghee
500 ml milk
2 tbsp sugar
Pinch Cardamon powder
Roasted almonds and pistachios 

Method
Heat ghee.
Add Sayun and roast till pink.
Add milk and let boil.
Add sugar and let the kheer cook on slow fame .
The vermecilli will cook fast , but wait for the milk to boil and reach the right kheer consistency.
Add Cardamon powder.
Remove in bowls and garnish with nuts.
Serve hot or chilled.




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63


Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Semiya kheer has found its way in all the cuisines right? Its simple and versaticle and of course yummy. Love those bright serveware. How did you fit your text exactly on that cloth border? Wow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures are classic Vaishali..I love this hot as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing can beat this humble vermicelli pudding when its comes to our sweets, and those serving bowls looks damn pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it both chilled and warm. Nice kheer and I often make it when crave something sweet. Yum yumm !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so much similar to our semiya payasam. Looks absolutely yum..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this yummy kheer, such a beautiful presentation Vaishali:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE semya kheer any time of the day -- that too hot, soo yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. loved the serveware., Veena has also posted a similar sweet / kheer for Alphabet S today ...

    my fav, anyday !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I initially thought the bowls were platters. They are pretty.
    Love this simple kheer and I make it frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty serveware. Love this kheer hot or cold.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a simple recipe, made in multiple cuisines! I loved your version :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this recipe is part of every cuisine I belive, i loved the props and everything here it is my kind of styling and color

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vermicelli kheer looks divine.I love those serve ware and spoons.Very elegant setup.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vaishali.....Love your bowl, love your clicks and love the kheer!

    ReplyDelete