Saturday, September 3, 2016

Smörgåstårta , The Swedish Sandwich Cake








BM # 68
Day : 3
Theme : One Category - Bread Sandwiches
Sub Theme - Sandwich Cakes

My third days post for Cooking Carnival is a special post. This post got glued to my mind, it is a Swedish Cake which Rajani had posted sometime back, I knew I had to make it as I simply loved it .You could check her post for step by step pictures.

The cake is called Smorgastarta and is normally served on most occasions in Sweden. Normally the fillings include cold cut meats along with veggies, but of course this is a vegetarian version and I followed Rajani's version, except for a little tweet.

I choose the sub theme of cakes this week as I had to post a cake for Dad's birthday. His birthday is tomorrow , but since we are off from posting on Sunday's I decided to post a day in advance.



Happy Birthday Dad ! God Bless you !
Here are the cakes that I have been posting on Dad's Birthday since a couple of years 

For a long time I always got a tear in my eye when I thought of him, but not anymore. I fondly think of him and smile. He was a wonderful person and has taught and given us values of life .So with a smile lets get on to this Swedish Cake which happens to be served on special occasions.


Smorgastarta

Ingredients

3 slices of bread, jumbo slices
Butter

Filling no 1

2 tbsp herbed cottage cheese
1 tbsp colored capsicums
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp coriander leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

Filling no 2
2-3 tbsp finely chopped lettuce, carrot, beet root, cucumber
2-3 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp thick yogurt
Salt and pepper to taste

Outer Frosting
3/4 cup thick yogurt
2-3 tbsp mayonnaise
Pinch salt

Garnishing
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Coriander leaves
Or run your imagination

How to go about
Cut the bread slices into circles using a sharp edged round cutter, any kind of jar lid would do.
Apply butter on each side of the slice.
Prepare both the fillings by mixing in the ingredients specified under them.
Place the first slice, spread filling no 1.
Cover with the second slice, spread filling no 2.
Cover it with the third slice.

Frosting the cake

Beat the yogurt to a smooth texture.
Add the mayo and salt.
Mix well.
Spread it all over the cake , covering the top and sides.
Garnish with your choice of ingredients.
Chill and serve.




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 68


Pin It

18 comments:

  1. Ever since I saw this on Rajani's blog, even I want to give it a try, but have been postponing for no reasons. Your cake has turned out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at the slice one can easily assume to be a sweet cake. Love the savory cake. It is a nice way to remember your dad every year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my this is so exotic looking sandwich cake.I loved all the sandwich cakes u posted this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a show stopper. No boduy would know it's savory until they taste it :-) I made it couple of years ago for mega marathon and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what research , what recipes and what lovely presentations....mind blowing, loved it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dads will always remain special, Vaishali N am sure he's watching over u always :)) this cake is savoury ? I was expecting a few sweet elements there ! Wel done ... The yoghurt frosting is too good 👌👌

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vaishali that's such a fantastic cake and so apt for your father..I always think of your wonderful cakes you make for your Daddy...I am sure he will love this!..I love how colourful your sliced cake is looking..:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The spicy sandwich cake idea is amazing, Vaishali and seems like an apt one for the occasion you had on mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sweet! Parents are always special and you just have shown your love to your dad. What a mind blowing sandwich cake this is!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely and colorful sandwich cake! Apt for any occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sandwich cake looks absolutely gorgeous.After looking at the picture in linky I thought its a sweet cake.Stunning savory cake dear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wanted to try this soon.. bookmarked. :-) The recipe name is a tongue twister but the recipe would wow the tongue for sure. great share

    ReplyDelete
  13. Omg, wat a fantastic sandwich cake with ultimate filling inside, and that yoghurt frosting is simply fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have seen this on Pavani's blog, and today on yours and Rajani. This cake is perfect and I love the way you decorated it. The carrots and tomatoes have been curled so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember seeing this in Rajani 's blog. Looks very pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful sandwich cake. should try this once...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my God! This is phenomenal...looks gorgeous! Great going

    ReplyDelete
  18. The sandwich cake looks lovely and what a name:)

    ReplyDelete